VideoHelp Forum


Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread
  1. Hi to all,

    my Samsung phone recorded an hour-long audio in 3ga format. When I pressed Stop button, the recording app just crashed. When I try to listen to the file, VLC player first struggles to read it, then just shows black void. Meanwhile the file is large, of around 37 Mb.

    I tested several online services and a couple of desktop apps to fix the file, but it did not work. It seems that 3ga format is not well taken in charge by common repair algorythms.

    A couple of years ago I saw here in the forum a discussion around the same issue, and an experimented member offered his help in its solving. I do not manage to find back that thread. But maybe a stable solution have been found since then? I presume that the issue is pretty widespread and many users faced it and maybe got assisted.

    I am really frustrated by the impossibility to playback this record and would appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, save the original 3ga file and work with copies only.
    Rename such a copy with mp3 Extention.
    Maybe you can play it then.
    Otherwise create a new short audio file 3ga with your Samsung phone and compare the start sectors of the new file with a copy of the original 3ga file in a hex editor.
    If they are completely different, copy the first 8 bytes (0-7) of the new file to start sector 0 of the original file and save that.
    Check if you can play it then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the untrunc program
    https://github.com/anthwlock/untrunc/releases/download/latest/untrunc_x64.zip
    '
    You have to feed it the bad file and a good one recorded from the same device
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you so much for your input! I'll try both options and will write back here of the result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow, the untrunc worked as a charm! So, I did not have to try manual changes in the audio file.

    Thank you, davexnet, for the solution. That might be a great help for everyone facing the same issue.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads