VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I was recently send download links for a DVD which included the .VOB files plus all of the small files. However, I think 1 of the small files is missing or corrupted and when I burn it to a disc it is making a Data DVD rather than a regular one.
    I have the software IFOedit which I know can create the necessary small files for the DVD to work but would appreciate some help with how to do it.

There are 5 VOB files which make up the movie. I also have a "VIDEO_TS.VOB" file, which is the title menu, and a "VTS_01_0.VOB" file which is the chapters menu.

I know I will need to scrap the current small files (.BUP & .IFO) to create new ones from scratch but can anyone here help with how to do that using IFOedit (and ensure the "title menu" and "chapters menu" work).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you put all the files into a folder called VIDEO_TS and make an empty folder called AUDIO_TS before trying to make the dvd? test it by seeing if vlc will play the video_ts folder as a dvd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree with aedipuss. You haven't really provided enough information to conclude the IFOs and BUPs are defective.

The VIDEO_TS.VOB and VTS_01_0.VOB should each have their own IFO and BUP. If one's missing you can duplicate it from the other.

I test DVDs by doubleclicking the VIDEO_TS.IFO using MPC-HC. What did you use to burn this DVD? Always use ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, if only 1 of each IFO or BUP is defective, it's no problem to fix. "BUP" = "backup" (of IFO). so if IFO is defective, copy the BUP & rename it to IFO. If the reverse, it shouldn't affect playback, but you could copy & rename there too.
    That's the whole point of the redundancy, so it is able to withstand corruption. IFO is placed at innermost section of the disc, BUP at outermost, so scratches are less likely to be common to both.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes I always use Imgburn.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, if only 1 of each IFO or BUP is defective, it's no problem to fix. "BUP" = "backup" (of IFO). so if IFO is defective, copy the BUP & rename it to IFO. If the reverse, it shouldn't affect playback, but you could copy & rename there too.
    That's the whole point of the redundancy, so it is able to withstand corruption. IFO is placed at innermost section of the disc, BUP at outermost, so scratches are less likely to be common to both.

Scott
    There are 2 .BUP files and only 1 .IFO file so I believe 1 of the .IFO files are missing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Again, if an IFO is corrupt (or MISSING), you can re-create it by just copying the BUP and renaming its extension to IFO (all else should be identical).

Remember that you need 1 IFO for VIDEO_TS (the Vmgr or Root/FirstPlay) and then an IFO for every VTS_## (each titleset).
    So as an example: if you had VTS_01.xx files and VTS_02.xx files, you would need 3 IFOs: VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.IFO, and VTS_02.IFO. And you also would need 3 BUPs: VIDEO_TS.BUP, VTS_01.BUP, and VTS_02.BUP.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Feb 2021 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rather than trying to explain how to use ifoedit, extract the whole mpg from the vobs with vob2mpg. convert the mpg to any format you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Again, if an IFO is corrupt (or MISSING), you can re-create it by just copying the BUP and renaming its extension to IFO (all else should be identical).

Remember that you need 1 IFO for VIDEO_TS (the Vmgr or Root/FirstPlay) and then an IFO for every VTS_## (each titleset).
    So as an example: if you had VTS_01.xx files and VTS_02.xx files, you would need 3 IFOs: VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.IFO, and VTS_02.IFO. And you also would need 3 BUPs: VIDEO_TS.BUP, VTS_01.BUP, and VTS_02.BUP.

Scott
    Great, that's worked thanks.
    Quote Quote