VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.

I've been using StaxRip lately, testing encoding with x264 NVENC.

The problem is, the quality is ALWAYS subpar (very blocky) in comparison to my CPU x264 encodes.

And the files sizes are bloated like hell.

I try to encode a softsub mkv file to an mp4 hardsub.

I set CQP at 15, and the encoded file size is 50% bigger than the source file itself.

Sure, NVENC does ultra fast encodes. But isn't there a way to get decent qualities with reasonable file sizes?

I'm using an Nvidia 1660 Ti btw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can refer to this discussion on the StaxRip repo about NVenc key options for HEVC(H265).
    But you need to finetune the settings suited for H264 referring to the NVEnc manual.

(BTW, x264 and x265 are different encoders than NVEnc. They use CPU only while NVEnc uses the Nvidia graphics card encoding engine, NVENC.)

---

FYI, this is a basic NVEnc H264 options setting for my GTX 1060 6G (Pascal) card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BiYbjf2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	57243

Just think of it as an example. You need to take a lot of things into account other than these options reflecting the features and properties of the source video and your graphics card.
    Last edited by JKyle; 7th Feb 2021 at 11:20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
    You can refer to this discussion on the StaxRip repo about NVenc key options for HEVC(H265).
    But you need to finetune the settings suited for H264 referring to the NVEnc manual.

(BTW, x264 and x265 are different encoders than NVEnc. They use CPU only while NVEnc uses the Nvidia graphics card encoding engine, NVENC.)
    Oh.. sorry, I'm a newbie. I mistaken x264 for H264, lol. Thanks, I'll check the links.
    Last edited by inanow; 7th Feb 2021 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote