VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whether I'm extending my wi-fi with a new adapter, or trying to add a IP Camera... these products come with an IP address for the ADMIN page, where you can change your user name and passwords. So once you connect these things into your network, these pages should work, but they never work for me. I know this is kinda vague, but can anybody relate? How did you fix it? Does it have to do with my firewall?
    Quote Quote  
  2. what methods are you using to try to gain access?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    what methods are you using to try to gain access?
    Depends on product. So currently, I'm trying to configure an IP camera. It's connected to a POE switch in my network. The admin they give me is 192.168.1.120. They say once it's in my network, this ip address should work to get to admin, but I get an error page, "the site can't be reached... 192.168.1.120 is taking too long to respond."

These admin pages never seem to work for me. Last time I somehow managed to add a wifi extender no thanks to Netgear's admin page. I'm thinking surely others are experiencing this, and not just me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    what methods are you using to try to gain access?
    Depends on product. So currently, I'm trying to configure an IP camera. It's connected to a POE switch in my network. The admin they give me is 192.168.1.120. They say once it's in my network, this ip address should work to get to admin, but I get an error page, "the site can't be reached... 192.168.1.120 is taking too long to respond."

These admin pages never seem to work for me. Last time I somehow managed to add a wifi extender no thanks to Netgear's admin page. I'm thinking surely others are experiencing this, and not just me.
    are you using any browser extensions such as any ad blockers or script blockers if yes,
    then try disabling them. see here - https://superuser.com/questions/337334/unable-to-get-access-to-router-even-though-inte...net-is-working
    Last edited by october262; 3rd Feb 2021 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the ip range you use in your home network? It might be that you use a different ip adres range then your products have as standard settings.

In other words, if your home network use 10.0.0.X and your ip came uses 192.168.1.X it won't work
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    What is the ip range you use in your home network? It might be that you use a different ip adres range then your products have as standard settings.

In other words, if your home network use 10.0.0.X and your ip came uses 192.168.1.X it won't work
    This is the most likely issue. To get around it you have to temporarily set the IP address of the computer you are using to access it to an address within the same subnet as the device you are trying to get to.

You need to log in to your router and find your IP settings as well as look at the network map to see what IP the new device is actually using.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post

This is the most likely issue. To get around it you have to temporarily set the IP address of the computer you are using to access it to an address within the same subnet as the device you are trying to get to.

You need to log in to your router and find your IP settings as well as look at the network map to see what IP the new device is actually using.
    I think you guys are right! It always throw me for a loop how direct the instructions are, with no alternatives. You would think the manufactures know this is a common issue and remind you in the instructions with something like... "Our ip address may not work for you because your network may use a different set of IP address. In which case, you should do this...." I'm not fluent in networking. LOL! So I forget or don't understand the little things that may be obvious to experience users.
    Quote Quote