VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I am recording tapes from my Hi8 camcorder, into my Elgato Game Capture HD, into my PC. The camera has two A/V outputs, yellow and white. I have a cable running from these into a component/S-Video converter so that I can connect the camera to the capture card. The video output is in black and white. Is there a certain adapter I need? I'm asking because I used my MiniDV camera with the same setup and the output was in colour. Thanks.
    [Attachment 57151 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you plug the camcorder's yellow output to a TV's composite input -- do you get color?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the video is still black and white.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, You don't need a cable converter, Your camcorder outputs composite not component. Connect the yellow to the yellow on the capture device and white to the white, If you want audio on both channels you need a splitter that takes the white and split into two RCA outputs.
    If you want to take advantage of S-Video you have to get a camcorder that outputs S-Video signal from the source.

Just a side note, that cable is not a converter, You can't convert S-Video to components or vise versa without processing. It's just a Chinese knock off made for profit.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Feb 2021 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No, You don't need a cable converter, Connect the yellow to the yellow on the capture device and white to the white, If you want audio on both channels you need a splitter that takes the white and split into two RCA outputs.
    The capture card only has S-Video and HDMI inputs. I only have an S-Video to component adapter at the moment.
    [Attachment 57152 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, the capture card can only captures component (Red, Green, Blue) and HDMI, You got the wrong capture device buddy. You should have asked before clicking "Checkout" button. Now I see that the cable breakout is made for this special application, it is not S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the capture card can only captures component (Red, Green, Blue) and HDMI, You got the wrong capture device buddy. You should have asked before clicking "Checkout" button. Now I see that the cable breakout is made for this special application, it is not S-Video.
    I ordered this 6 years ago for a different use, I just realised recently it can record tapes too. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The plug which looks like a S-Video connector is another Mini-DIN connector with more contacts probably made for custom usage, in this case for the Elgato Game Capture HD. But it is NOT an S Video connector. Just count the pins.

This device supports Composite according to manufacturers info:
    https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028231691-Elgato-Game-Capture-HD-supports...te-and-S-Video

But perhaps you need a special cable. I am not an expert, but I think the link should give a good start for this topic with correct info.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yellow to red of the red, green and blue plugs -> composite video, but set the software to composite
    the red to the red of red and white and the white to the white of the red and white -> stereo audio for left and right channel

For S-Video, you need a special adapter cable from Elgato.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    He still needs a splitter for the mono audio channel, Unless he is ok with the sound being on one side only:

Quote Quote  
  11. Simple y adapter or mono to stereo in nle
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He still needs a splitter for the mono audio channel, Unless he is ok with the sound being on one side only:

I have seen this screen before and I did connect the camera as described there but the video was still black and white.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you play the tape in the camera does it show in color on it's screen?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if you play the tape in the camera does it show in color on it's screen?
    It doesn't. The camera only has a viewfinder and that is B&W also
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apart from the issue of no Composite input into the Elgato, I may be missing something but

Originally Posted by Jagabo
    If you plug the camcorder's yellow output to a TV's composite input -- do you get color?
    Originally Posted by MPvnX
    Indicates to me that the camera is defective.

You could try another yellow cable from camera to TV to confirm the camera's on the blink.

I'm also surprised that a Hi8 camera doesn't have 1/stereo audio out (red and white) nor 2/S-Video out.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Many devices with both s-video and composite output use the same pin for the s-video luma and composite video. With such devices there will be a setting in the setup menu or on the remote that specifies which signal to output. If the device is set to output s-video but your are connected to a composite device you will get a greyscale image. So make sure the camcorder is set to output composite video.

But since even the camcorder's own screen is showing greyscale the camcorder may be defective or the tape it's playing is greyscale (recorded on some other device). Is a live picture from the camcorder greyscale too? Maybe there's a greyscale option in the setup menus?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MPvnX View Post
    Hi there,
    I am recording tapes from my Hi8 camcorder, into my Elgato Game Capture HD,
    This is the wrong tool for the task.

It'll either:
    - never work
    - work, but look pretty crappy

You need to get a catpure card designed for SD conversion. Not an HD card that "also" does it (and badly).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Many devices with both s-video and composite output use the same pin for the s-video luma and composite video. With such devices there will be a setting in the setup menu or on the remote that specifies which signal to output. If the device is set to output s-video but your are connected to a composite device you will get a greyscale image. So make sure the camcorder is set to output composite video.

But since even the camcorder's own screen is showing greyscale the camcorder may be defective or the tape it's playing is greyscale (recorded on some other device). Is a live picture from the camcorder greyscale too? Maybe there's a greyscale option in the setup menus?
    Everything is greyscale, which makes me wonder if the camera is defective. If this is the case, would my best bet be to buy a Hi8 camcorder that does have colour output? Only looking to convert tapes, not use the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Apart from the issue of no Composite input into the Elgato, I may be missing something but

Originally Posted by Jagabo
    If you plug the camcorder's yellow output to a TV's composite input -- do you get color?
    Originally Posted by MPvnX
    Indicates to me that the camera is defective.

You could try another yellow cable from camera to TV to confirm the camera's on the blink.

I'm also surprised that a Hi8 camera doesn't have 1/stereo audio out (red and white) nor 2/S-Video out.
    Yes it would make sense to say the camera is defective. The fact that my MiniDV camera outputs colour with the same setup shows the cable is working fine, and it's most likely the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think the camcorder is fine, The OP needs to figure out how to set composite in the capturing software, Also what capturing software is he using? It's still a good idea to get a different camcorder with S-Video out if the goal is to take advantage of a higher quality capture via S-Video however I'm not sure if that capture device has S-Video input.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the camcorder is fine, The OP needs to figure out how to set composite in the capturing software, Also what capturing software is he using? It's still a good idea to get a different camcorder with S-Video out if the goal is to take advantage of a higher quality capture via S-Video however I'm not sure if that capture device has S-Video input.
    I'm using the Game Capture HD software for the capture card. Software has an option for S-Video in as well, so it must support it somehow. Also, how come you think the camcorder is fine? Every output I have tested, including the viewfinder, is in B&W.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MPvnX View Post
    I'm using the Game Capture HD software for the capture card. Software has an option for S-Video in as well, so it must support it somehow.
    Running composite video into the luma pin of an s-video device will result in very noisy video as the chroma carrier won't be removed from the luma:

[Attachment 57169 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by MPvnX View Post
    I'm using the Game Capture HD software for the capture card. Software has an option for S-Video in as well, so it must support it somehow.
    Running composite video into the luma pin of an s-video device will result in very noisy video as the chroma carrier won't be removed from the luma:

[Attachment 57169 - Click to enlarge]
    That makes sense, the video is quite noisy actually. Is there a workaround for this?
    [Attachment 57172 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, that looks like the capture device is expecting s-video but getting composite on the luma pin. The fact that the noise is there indicates there is color in the composite signal. Just go to the capture software/device settings and set to composite, not s-video.
    Quote Quote