VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Blackmagic Analogue to SDI audio too low... when trying to capture analogue unbalanced audio from a VCR. What do I need to bring the audio levels up to a normal level? Thanks

Edit: Something like this? ART Pro Audio Unbalanced-to-Balanced Level Converter
    Last edited by Waloshin; 2nd Feb 2021 at 20:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, that should do it.

Assuming you had something like the BMD Analog->SDI mini converter, the analog audio expected is balanced, pro level, and unless your vcr has balanced xlr outputs, it most likely has unbalanced, consumer line level RCA (or BNC) outputs.
    And to optimally capture, you would need a converter just like the Art Pro.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. The ART device works excellent. Now would I set the audio level to 10?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Am not intimate with those devices, so not sure how they're to be set for optimal use.

Most audio stuff, you want to set to "Unity" gain - that could be "0" with both positive and negative gain adjustment, or it could be "10" with negative gain (aka attenuation) if adjusted lower. Or could be something else entirely (60-80%?). Good equipment I like usually has unity at 0 with a detent (click stop) at unity to make it easy to find, even in the dark.

If you're still not sure, and that didn't help, just do a repeated set of tests at various settings, and just see where you get optimum signal with no/little distortion or clipping. Make sure to allow headroom for occasional peaks.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks

10 seems to work well.
    Quote Quote