VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have installed AVStoDVD and the Avisynth and LAV filters during the install, it does it all, went with default offered settings.
    reboot PC, launch AVStoDVD, set it to PAL.
    Test its general functionality.
    I am as far as file open, I select one of my files, all are outputs from VideoRedo that outputs .mpg and they are 16:9 ratio. Videoredo takes in a DVD_RTAV folder contents, quickstream fixes it and after editing out unwanted parts , saves as .mpg. These are what I have to work with.
    I normally place them in TMPGenc and author, making a menu then burn to dvd with my chosen backgrounds and appearance.

I have a warning:-
    The selected file seems to be a Media Title to be converted to DVD, not an AVStoDVD project (a2d extension)
    Do you want to continue?

What has happened, what do I need to do with this 2Gb .mpg file ?

Cheers
    DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You open AvstoDvd and drag the mpg to the main window,
    or alternatively, select the button with the green + to add your media

Is your media already dvd compliant mpeg? Why are you re-encoding it - to reduce the size?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    tried again this time using green cross method, they come in no warning.
    set custom to 4200 ok it, set output to muxed mpeg-2 as per your steps.
    warning and long red line 8196/4200 at foot of interface.
    is it not doing what its supposed to and crunching them into 4200 ?

The mission as per start of thread is to get three 40 mins videos which are .mpg from Videoredo still as separate videos to author, create menu in TMPGencAuthoring Works5 with thumbnails and titles and burn onto a standard dvd_rw., for a friend to watch who is old school technology and has a dvd player but no usb socket on tv.
    With 20 of these to do I hope to get three onto a dvd, perhaps even 4 if you guys say its possible without a noticeable loss of quality as I am having to buy the dvd_rw's though I wont get paid to do so.
    He will watch them in SD of course but 90yrs old he doesnt notice difference between HD and SD, though the 'looked after' son can see a difference, has to put up with dad selecting SD channels when HD exists of same., son not allowed to have a say, long story. As such we dont need to worry too much about subtle quality differences as son wont be watching these, as far as I know.

As already mentioned the videos start life as dvd_rtav folders, videoredo quickstream fix the video within, becomes a .mpg, open it then remove adverts or whatever, remux save as .mpg and its the .mpg files I need to cram onto a dvd. I am opening into AVStoDVD the file made by Videoredo, 2Gb in size is each one.
    I was advised earlier to not con to mp4 as no gain and just messes with quality. although 440,000Kb they still went off the limit bar.

Attached a MediaInfo tree of one of the .mpg files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaisuJjbhvs sees someone messing with video bitrates and audio rates doesnt show crap result though !

My/your settings fails to get 3 x 40mins onto a dvd., is it an impossible task ?

I see in prefs an address for dvd assets, am I right I have to place the source files in here, or just what is 'assets' or can I just browse to wherever they live, as I keep them in named folders and dont want to mess up my filing system.

Cheers
    DBenz
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaInfoTree_CarVideo_VideoHelp.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	57555  

Last edited by DBenz; 27th Feb 2021 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    Hi,
    tried again this time using green cross method, they come in no warning.
    set custom to 4200 ok it, set output to muxed mpeg-2 as per your steps.
    warning and long red line 8196/4200 at foot of interface.
    is it not doing what its supposed to and crunching them into 4200 ?

The mission as per start of thread is to get three 40 mins videos which are .mpg from Videoredo still as separate videos to author, create menu in TMPGencAuthoring Works5 with thumbnails and titles and burn onto a standard dvd_rw., for a friend to watch who is old school technology and has a dvd player but no usb socket on tv.
    With 20 of these to do I hope to get three onto a dvd, perhaps even 4 if you guys say its possible without a noticeable loss of quality as I am having to buy the dvd_rw's though I wont get paid to do so.
    He will watch them in SD of course but 90yrs old he doesnt notice difference between HD and SD, though the 'looked after' son can see a difference, has to put up with dad selecting SD channels when HD exists of same., son not allowed to have a say, long story. As such we dont need to worry too much about subtle quality differences as son wont be watching these, as far as I know.

As already mentioned the videos start life as dvd_rtav folders, videoredo quickstream fix the video within, becomes a .mpg, open it then remove adverts or whatever, remux save as .mpg and its the .mpg files I need to cram onto a dvd. I am opening into AVStoDVD the file made by Videoredo, 2Gb in size is each one.
    I was advised earlier to not con to mp4 as no gain and just messes with quality. although 440,000Kb they still went off the limit bar.

Attached a MediaInfo tree of one of the .mpg files

Cheers
    DBenz
    have you tried using dvdshrink ??
    dvdshrink is a free program that allows you to shrink dvd files
    so that they can be burnt onto 4.7 GB discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    October262, the guys here had me try dvdshrink then I was advised to not do so and use AVStoDVD with comprehensive help from Davexnet, having now followed his steps and installed it, and currently PC is not accessing emails until I know all is ok, I am going with what has been boiled down to be the best way, so I dont really want to go around the houses again as I have been at this for 2 months now simply trying to fit 3 or 4 40 min videos into TMPGencDVD authoringWorks5, menu them and burn to dvd_rw.
    see start of thread and the various things tried.
    Whatever I use must take 3 or 4 .mpg files duration about 40 mins each, and reduce them to fit onto a dvd-r with a menu all using TMPGencAuthoringWorks5 and use that to burn to disc. I am currently being told THE solution is AVStoDVD.

How should I test functionality of it ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the screen shots of the main window when 3 40 minute files have been added.
    What is different with yours?
    Post the your own screen shot here if you can't see anything
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400571-What-settings-in-TMPGenc-AW5-to-get-more-vi...sc#post2610483
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    attached my interface beside yours, for both of yours.
    I followed your two settings .
    Should I be altering others as well and what, I am going with what you said after an install.

Cheers
    DBenz

Name:	compare DaveScreenToMine AVStoDVD.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	57557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	compare DaveScreenToMine AVStoDVD page2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	57558  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your files are compliant but the bitrate is too high.
    The programming is warning you that they're too big because the programs instinct is to
    try and use compliant files as-is first (because of maintaining the original quality) -
    but this can be overridden as necessary, as in your case.

Highlight the first title and click on edit title button. Select the Video tab.
    Deselect "auto video setup" and "video direct stream copy"
    Then use the "next title" button to do the same thing to your next titles.
    OK out. At the main screen check the "Output" and "DVD size" buttons at the top to make sure
    they're still as we set them.
    Start the encode. One word of warning, the program does pop up a bunch of CMD boxes while it's running,
    which can steal the focus - be careful of those

Name:	avs1.png
Views:	36
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	57559  

Click image for larger version

Name:	avs2.png
Views:	12
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	57560  

Quote Quote  
  9. I've never used AVStoDVD but my guess is you have the program set to not re-encode already DVD compliant sources. And since your sources are from a DVD they are already DVD compliant. You need to change the preferences to re-encode all sources.

Oops -- davexnet beat me to it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I've never used AVStoDVD but my guess is you have the program set to not re-encode already DVD compliant sources. And since your sources are from a DVD they are already DVD compliant. You need to change the preferences to re-encode all sources.

Oops -- davexnet beat me to it.
    Hi jagabo - I guess this is one program I got to know quite well.

For DBenz's issues, there is one other "gotcha" I forgot to mention, although the LAV filters are installed they'll most likely not be used until you set them using the included tool (because of the way Windows works since Windows 7)

If you encode it using the default source filter and Windows Directshow filters are set as default, the resulting files may
    have audio sync problems - but not always

My recommendation (for now) is to use FFmpegsource as the AviSynth source filter.
    The only issue is, when this preference is set and saved
    the program does require you to close the project and rebuild it before it takes affect

Name:	avs3.png
Views:	37
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	57561  

Last edited by davexnet; 27th Feb 2021 at 18:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    official-dvdshrink.org
    I download it,
    This is some kind of scammy BS.
    The actual DVD Shrink is discontinued. But it still works perfectly fine.

When not using it, I used DVD-Rebuilder.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Rebuilder
    http://www.jdobbs.net/
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Davexnet.
    that all worked, I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting me there. I hope others needing to simply get a few .mpg of 40 mins or so onto a dvd will find it useful.
    I am wondering if 4 will fit or what the settings must be, will those settings work on whatever is thrown at AVStoDVD ? What would 4 look like quality wise, best to test.
    I am burning the 3 to dvd-rw to see the result on tv, then I will try for 4. use a dvd-rw rather than waste dvd's.

lordsmurf I am succesfull here but thanks for the alternative and flagging up of scam site.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Davexnet.
    that all worked, I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting me there. I hope others needing to simply get a few .mpg of 40 mins or so onto a dvd will find it useful.
    I am wondering if 4 will fit or what the settings must be, will those settings work on whatever is thrown at AVStoDVD ? What would 4 look like quality wise, best to test.
    I am burning the 3 to dvd-rw to see the result on tv, then I will try for 4. use a dvd-rw rather than waste dvd's.

lordsmurf I am succesfull here but thanks for the alternative and flagging up of scam site.

DBenz
    You're welcome. It's not so much the extra titles themselves are an issue, it is the (implied) increase of running time.
    After about 2 hours on a 4.7GB DVD, the quality starts to suffer. You have to try and see if it's acceptable.
    There are some things in the HCenc mpeg2 settings that can help to mitigate it
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I altered Lanczos4resize to Spline36resize in the AVStoDVD prefs/AViSynth tab, looking at your settings I saw you had that so presumed it better, though you didnt say to do so, was that ok ?

I also didnt tick the 'use PAL speedup' and use NTSC slowdown' as nothing was said on those and your image had no tick.

Video progs have so many settings but I bet most folk havent a clue if they are good or bad, working on images I know what to do but videos is a minefield.

I am now testing 4 onto a disc, 3 was okay, a tad more woolly than an original viewed but acceptable. I will compare screen captures of both.

Regards

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I altered Lanczos4resize to Spline36resize in the AVStoDVD prefs/AViSynth tab, looking at your settings I saw you had that so presumed it better, though you didnt say to do so, was that ok ?

I also didnt tick the 'use PAL speedup' and use NTSC slowdown' as nothing was said on those and your image had no tick.

Video progs have so many settings but I bet most folk havent a clue if they are good or bad, working on images I know what to do but videos is a minefield.

I am now testing 4 onto a disc, 3 was okay, a tad more woolly than an original viewed but acceptable. I will compare screen captures of both.

Regards

DBenz
    Don't worry about speedup/slowdown, they're alternate methods for dealing with a conversion between
    the PAL and NTSC frame rates and are not always applicable even then. The program has
    another way to deal with it by default.

The resize filter of Spline36 is often the filter of choice recently in the forum,
    spline16 slightly softer; it's all to do with balancing the sharpness and artifacts.
    It can be up to personal taste, see the Video Scaling Method paragraph here:
    https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=Video_playback
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    ok thanks, looked ok so forum must be onto something good with that choice.
    As for the quality of 4 onto a dvd versus 3, all about 40 mins, I could see no obvious differences so will go for 4.

Regards

DBenz
    Quote Quote