VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there! I'm new on this forum in search for a solution regarding my current project. I'm working on a movie version of an anime series with Japanese audio. Obviously in order to watch it I want to create some simple subtitles using Aegisub. For that I have the ass.-files of every episode to work with. At first I timed every line manually and copy-pasted what's being said in that moment. But it's an exhausting and repetitive work and I wonder if there's a way to copy the lines from the ass.-files including the timing and length of each line and putting them into the new subtitle project while keeping the timing and length? The actual point when it's being said in the episode isn't the same as when it's happening in my movie project cause I cut things out for the pacing so there has to be some work around. I hope it makes sense what I wanna achieve, lol. Do you have any suggestions or is there a better programme to use for what I wanna do?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the ASS file into subtitle edit and convert to srt.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Load the ASS file into subtitle edit and convert to srt.

You see, that's not exactly my problem. I guess, I failed to describe it properly lol. Doesn't matter what file format I use, I wanted to know if there's a way to copy the subtitles of a specific scene from that anime episode and paste them into my subtitles project at the point where the scene happens there while keeping the length and timing of the following lines for the whole scene. So far I timed every line manually for when it happens in my movie project but there's scenes which I took 1:1 from the anime episode where I wouldn't have to change the timing if I could simply pull them over from that original subtitle file. Does that make sense?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you basically grabbing scenes and merging them together?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Are you basically grabbing scenes and merging them together?
    Basically, yeah. So there's scenes where I basically just need the subtitles from that episode with the exact same length and timing for the lines for the movie but I can't exactly copypaste them straight away cause in the movie the scenes are re-arranged for example. So I was hoping there's a way to copy-paste a number of lines from one srt/ass and put them in another srt with a different starting point for the first line and keeping the length and timing of the following ones.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use subtitle edit to set the beginning time of each pasted sub piece with the time it starts in the movie so the first piece you paste you set the time as in the movie piece then the next piece you add to the movie you set the time with the next video,subtitle edit will adjust the times so they will match.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use subtitle edit to set the beginning time of each pasted sub piece with the time it starts in the movie so the first piece you paste you set the time as in the movie piece then the next piece you add to the movie you set the time with the next video,subtitle edit will adjust the times so they will match.
    I just tried but Subtitle Edit won't let me paste actual lines. I can only copy lines into the clipboard but not actual lines...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a box in the bottom of subtitle that's named box,you can paste lines in there after you put in the time index.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    There's a box in the bottom of subtitle that's named box,you can paste lines in there after you put in the time index.
    I just tried it out and it seems to work but honestly the interface and working with Subtitle Edit is kinda jarring to me and I really got used to work with Aegisub. Is there no such function to paste subtitle lines from another file while keeping the timing of the following ones in Aegisub?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Might be easier to merge the srt with the videos and then cut them,this way the videos already will have the subs and no need to do anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LaytonsApprentice2 View Post
    Hey there! I'm new on this forum in search for a solution regarding my current project. I'm working on a movie version of an anime series with Japanese audio. Obviously in order to watch it I want to create some simple subtitles using Aegisub. For that I have the ass.-files of every episode to work with. At first I timed every line manually and copy-pasted what's being said in that moment. But it's an exhausting and repetitive work and I wonder if there's a way to copy the lines from the ass.-files including the timing and length of each line and putting them into the new subtitle project while keeping the timing and length? The actual point when it's being said in the episode isn't the same as when it's happening in my movie project cause I cut things out for the pacing so there has to be some work around. I hope it makes sense what I wanna achieve, lol. Do you have any suggestions or is there a better programme to use for what I wanna do?

Thanks in advance
    I don't know if you still need it but I think there's a way of doing what you're thinking of with aegi, well if I understood properly what you want to achieve, so you already have the full movie project with the clips from each individual episode in one video and you're working with that on aegi, right? And for each episode you have an individual subs file? You can just literary copy paste the lines from one file to another and then use the shifting function to make sure the timing is right, I can explain futher if that's what you need to do
    Quote Quote