VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What does it takes to change a hard drive in those boxes? I have a old Samsung dtb-p770v with íde hard drive. Can i download the program or format on the web and transfer to the hard drive? I guess you need a special remote to?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    once you put the new HDD into the recorder & power it on
    it should automatically format the drive & get it set up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just understand: Very likely, however, you may have orphaned any existing data on the old drive.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. How big hard drive on íde can my Samsung handle? The standard is 80gb
    Quote Quote  
  5. The only info I can find on the Samsung DTB-P770V is in German or Spanish: where are you located? Is your recorder designed for North American feeds or the EU satellite system? It doesn't seem to have anything posted about it in English language, which makes it difficult for most of us on VH to troubleshoot.

But generally speaking, similar units typically use encryption on their HDD as october262 mentioned. You can replace the hard drive with a new HDD as a simple repair option, but the old drive will probably not be readable by any other device or PC (and removing it from your Samsung may void playback of everything on it even if you put it back in the same DVR). With no English documentation available, hard drive capacity can only be guessed at. These DVRs normally just auto-format new HDDs with no user configurable settings: depending on firmware design, your Samsung will either recognize and use the full capacity of any HDD you install, or it will only recognize/format whatever capacity it is hard-wired to use (if you install a 500GB HDD it may only use 80Gb or 160Gb).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. In Europe, Sweden region 2. I guess i don't need a special remote to configure? The hard drive needs to be formated in fat32? I have 2 Samsung receivers and i shifted the hard drive from the same Samsung it worked and it worked to plug in the other after but i couldn't watch the recorded shows from the hard drive to the non working Samsung. I could record on it but not watch the recorded programs it makes the receiver to stuck and i had to unplug the power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A raw unformatted HDD should work. Making fat32 will make sure the drive WORKS and is able to be formatted! I personally would put in the unformatted raw drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried a Samsung 160gb disk that has Ntfs and full of files but the receiver hang up. I guess i need to get another and format in Fat32. I didn't get a format message in the receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Some models, like Liteon and its clones, require that you do the "erase" function which rewrites/reformats the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    I tried a Samsung 160gb disk that has Ntfs and full of files but the receiver hang up. I guess i need to get another and format in Fat32. I didn't get a format message in the receiver.
    Try to remove the filesystem in windows. Use DISK Manager and make it RAW. then put in the recorder and format
    Quote Quote