VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Which is easier to edit on a modern high-end system

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently have a Matrox MX02 that records in i-frame MPEG 2 and I was wondering if a capture card like a AJA KONA LHI that can capture in DV50 which format would be quicker, and easier to edit with on a modern system?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I consider both systems to be "legacy" intermediate codec level. In this sense: while intra-frame, they are both lossy codecs using older technology.

Neither would likely be hard to work with on a modern edit system, but neither would be the best quality. Mpeg2 may or may not have an advantage, as it is slightly newer technology (codec-wise) and thus more efficient. Plus DV50 is a CBR static bitrate (50Mbps), while MPEG2 could conceiveably have multiple tiers of bitrates for that codec implementation, with even the possibility of variable bitrate (obviously, 1-pass).

Personally, since Kona appears to give you the option, if it were me, I'd use that hardware and use ProRes as the codec, since it will look much more like lossless. It is also a newer, more efficient techology though it is proprietary (Apple). I'd use a very high bitrate for quality stuff and a medium bitrate for most simple stuff and low bitrate for proxy complex edit stuff. But you will have higher hardware burden (both storage & throughput, and even a little bit processing) using Prores compared to the other 2. But I'd go for the quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Btw, for those who may be thinking it, yes full lossless would be better quality and doable on many modern systems. But they don't appear to be directly supported in hardware with either of these 2 offerings, so I skipped that possibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Both the Matrox and AJA can record uncompressed, but the files are massive.
    Last edited by Waloshin; 29th Jan 2021 at 01:12. Reason: Wrong wording
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not just basic recording, but the intermediate rendering, using those hardware to accellerate encoding & decoding, which can make the editing easier, more fluid/faster, and yet still fairly high quality. That's much of the reason those were chosen as default.

It's all about compromises (assuming all I-frame):
    1. Low bitrate = low pipeline & storage burden, and low quality+low complexity or higher quality+higher complexity
    2. Med bitrate = med p&s burden, med quality & med complexity
    3. High bitrate = high p&s burden, high quality but low complexity

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. i used to capture to mp4 but now always lossless and never looked back , excellent for editing and frame search ect .... i use
    Lagarith codec
    Quote Quote