VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have audio I extracted from my DVD, and I have audio extracted from VHS. The VHS and DVD audio are mostly the same, but the VHS has sound effects that were removed completely from the DVD for whatever reason. The DVD audio also sounds much better.

Can I take the DVD audio, and VHS audio, then merge them together? I would like it be the DVD voice, and music audio mostly being heard, with the sound effects that are missing from the DVD audio being heard from the VHS audio. Basically I want the DVD audio to play over top of the VHS audio, so only the sound effect differences will be added to it if possible.

How would I go about doing this? Is this possible to do with audacity? I have them both perfectly synced, so they play back the same things at the same time. I have no idea how I would combine them together so that the DVD audio is the one that's mostly heard with the sound effects from the VHS audio heard as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they really are in sync you could simply do a sound mix in Audacity - just mix to your preference. But I suspect you will have some very odd artifacts in the voice. If the VHS track was stereo, unlikely, you could attempt to remove the voice, assuming it aurally appears in the centre between both speakers, left and right, then mix in the FX with the DVD voice audio. It's the doubling up of the same voice that will give you problems and will show up any timing difference no matter how short.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Both the VHS and DVD audio are mono. I have a stereo like version for both as well, where the mono was duplicated into a second separate channel. There wont be any middle like you mentioned in the stereo like ones seeing as how its pretty much just mono 2.0.

How would I go about trying this mix you mentioned?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As you have Audacity this will do the mix - just load the sound from the VHS into say track one and the DVD into track 2 and then mix using the mixing faders on each channel to best suit what you want. Audacity has a good help file. Good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote