VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone

I am searching method/good software to overlay image on video without conversion, I used 2 softwares Shotcut and Olive Video Editor to overlay image on the video and also to resize the image for hiding some unwanted parts on the video, the 2 softwares do it perfectly. (the overlayed image is static)

But after I exported the new edited video, the original video which the size is (62 mb) became (6 mb) for the edited video (I kept the default settings for both softwares before conversion). ( the original video is MPEG-4 H.264 60 fps AVC file)

I don't want that, I want that the new edited video conserve the quality and size like the original video.

For example if there is method to overlay any image on the new edited video without conversion or any other methods to keep quality and size.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem ?

Thank you !
    Last edited by aaajan; 28th Jan 2021 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. When you filter a video (ex: overlay an image) a conversion is always required, if you want to save the ouput.

You need to find how to specify the output (H264) encoding parameters of your application to ensure quality isn't significantly degraded.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    When you filter a video (ex: overlay an image) a conversion is always required, if you want to save the ouput.

You need to find how to specify the output (H264) encoding parameters of your application to ensure quality isn't significantly degraded.
    Thank you for your reply. Like you said, I checked encoding options section on Olive video editor I found those options like in screenshots, what I can do like changes ? And of course, I will let the codec in H.264 like the original video.

[Attachment 57039 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57040 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57041 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57042 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57043 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. In your screenshot, where it says "constant rate factor" 23 , set it to some lower value like 15 to 18 . Lower values result in higher bitrates, less quality loss
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lower crf, currently at 23 (ex: try 18, lossless mode is crf 0).

You can check the characteristics of the input and output videos with mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In your screenshot, where it says "constant rate factor" 23 , set it to some lower value like 15 to 18 . Lower values result in higher bitrates, less quality loss
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Lower crf, currently at 23 (ex: try 18, lossless mode is crf 0).

You can check the characteristics of the input and output videos with mediainfo.
    I already have mediainfo , the good in this software (I mean Olive software) that it detect the video characteristics and preset settings as same as original video. I tried crf at 18 the size became 12 mb, when I tried crf at 0 it became 354 mb , is that normal ?
    Last edited by aaajan; 28th Jan 2021 at 13:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It might be normal;

At crf 0, it should be larger than the original

Did you use the correct project settings, and export settings in terms of dimensions, frame rate ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    It might be normal;

At crf 0, it should be larger than the original

Did you use the correct project settings, and export settings in terms of dimensions, frame rate ?
    Yes, it detect automatically the video characteristics and then preset the settings same details like the original video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rather than experiment with crf, why not experiment with target file size ? All other things being equal, a slightly higher than the original might suffice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Rather than experiment with crf, why not experiment with target file size ? All other things being equal, a slightly higher than the original might suffice.
    Well, I don't know if it will be effective, but I think crf method will do it automatically than do it manually like in screenshots (When I tried with different video it display the same target file: 700 mb).

It is OK for me to stay at crf 0, if it won't lose the quality.

What matters to me is that the edited video has the same quality like the original one without losing even a very small amount that I can't see.

[Attachment 57046 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57047 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re-read reply #2

There will ALWAYS be a loss of actual quality when you alter something within the video. The loss may not be visually apparent but it is there even at crf 0.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Re-read reply #2

There will ALWAYS be a loss of actual quality when you alter something within the video. The loss may not be visually apparent but it is there even at crf 0.
    OK I see. If there is no way to prevent the loss, then I can't do anything. I will stay at crf 0 better than anything.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by aaajan View Post
    OK I see. If there is no way to prevent the loss, then I can't do anything. I will stay at crf 0 better than anything.
    Hope you have a LOT of spare disk space.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

Hope you have a LOT of spare disk space.

Last edited by aaajan; 28th Jan 2021 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote