VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I am trying my hardest to find the number plate on the Mercedes on the right in this video: https://streamable.com/ob41nj

I would be incredibly grateful if anyone can help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not enough detail so no go,we have had so many posts on this same problem,can't make something out of nothing.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't make out the plate, but I think I saw the driver. See attached.

If you want anybody to try for the plate, you need an unmolested (un-re-encoded) copy.
    We can't do anything with non-original files off Youtube/Vimeo/whatever.
    Image Attached Files
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. It might be possible, but you need to upload the original, unedited file. There is no way to work with a streaming video. The video compression artifacts look pretty bad, but some of that may be due to streaming.

BTW, if your dash cam has any adjustments, you may want to consider turning down EV setting at night because in most of the frames the license plate is completely blown out, and there is nothing that can be recovered from a pure white license plate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    It might be possible, but you need to upload the original, unedited file. There is no way to work with a streaming video. The video compression artifacts look pretty bad, but some of that may be due to streaming.

BTW, if your dash cam has any adjustments, you may want to consider turning down EV setting at night because in most of the frames the license plate is completely blown out, and there is nothing that can be recovered from a pure white license plate.
    I do have the original copy of the video - it wont allow me to upload it here, could I send it over another way?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can zip it, then it will upload,assuming the
    site doesn't like the existing file type
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I couldn't make out the plate, but I think I saw the driver. See attached.

If you want anybody to try for the plate, you need an unmolested (un-re-encoded) copy.
    We can't do anything with non-original files off Youtube/Vimeo/whatever.
    I do have the original copy - I would be grateful if you could take a look at it?

I can't upload it here but I could send it via other means?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can upload it to any number of free media sharing sites and then simply provide a download link here. I use Mediafire.com.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You can upload it to any number of free media sharing sites and then simply provide a download link here. I use Mediafire.com.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/160ve2s0cw5mahl/VID_554.MOV/file

There we go, if you/someone take a look, I'd really appreciate it!

The car in question is at 1:09 on the right!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is this your own video? first hand. no one has given it to you?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    is this your own video? first hand. no one has given it to you?
    What difference does it make???
    Quote Quote  
  12. There is not one single pixel of data to work with. Sorry. The motion and compression artifacts are absolutely horrible.

My son gave me a Viofo dash cam for Christmas. It gets great reviews, but the video is pretty awful. For one thing, like all trail cams, dash cams, and action cams, the maufacturers lie about the actual resolution. They all use cheap low-res sensors and then up-res in software to achieve their pixel count. You can verify this by taking stills or video of a resolution chart at the various resolution settings. You won't see any improvement in detail that you can resolve between the low- and the high-res settings.

What you will find is that nothing under $500 will give you much more than SD (656x480) quality, even when you choose a 4K setting, if it is offered.

In your case, not only does your camera have virtually no resolution, and not only is it not able to deal with the brightness of a license compare to the surrounds at night, but the compression artifacts are some of the worst I've ever seen. You can see what I mean in the attached blown-up frame of the Mercedes. Yuch!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes.png
Views:	42
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	57034  

Quote Quote