VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. hi all

Im hoping your expertise will help me out here.

I connect a JVC-grex60 camcorder to my PC, windows xp sp3, via firewire.

Windows movie maker starts when I turn the camera on and I can control the camera via the software.

However, when I click capture, the capture count remains at zero and the preview window remains blank.

When I click finish, I get the message 'the video was not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device are configured properly'

I've checked the drivers and devices and all seems to be in order. I have also tried other video capture software and get the same results.

Id be really grateful if anyone has a fix for this.

thanks

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try winDV. hook everything up, and on. your cam should get listed in winDV. push play on the camera and when the tape starts playing and an image appears click capture in winDV.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can also use ScenlizerLive and press record it will start transferring DV as soon as it detects it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the response guys but i have tried WinDV and virtualhub and get exactly the same results. Any further ideas appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by paulmids View Post
    Thanks for the response guys but i have tried WinDV and virtualhub and get exactly the same results. Any further ideas appreciated. Thanks
    See the post above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I als used scenlizer, and had the same results ie camera was dectected and could be controlled. However, the screenshit seems to indicate a driver problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20210123_152723.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	5.67 MB
ID:	56929  

Quote Quote  
  7. Screenshot*
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few thoughts.

While you thought that all drivers were ok there is no harm in checking. From Device Manager look for 'IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller' and ensure there is no error shown.

Now as far as your DV device is concerned that is what I see when I transfer DV. However, I do not use a camera but an ADVC and that selection is a default. What do you see if you opened up the selection box ?

Some weeks ago I believe there was a topic with a similar issue and all other things being equal I would try this:-

Turn off the camera and unplug the firewire cable.
    Turn off the PC and unplug the cable at the PC side.
    Plug the cable back in on the PC side
    Turn the PC back on
    Plug the cable in to the camera.
    Then, and only then, turn it on.
    As stated above, if not in as many words, do NOT control the camera from the software but manually play the tape and allow the software to find the playback. Forget now how WMM worked but both WinDV and SCLive should show a preview window.

No preview and the PC is not receiving a video signal.

Are you using an add in card or is the IEEE 1394 built in to the motherboard ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, no issues with IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller - picture below.

Not sure what you meant by selection box but a picture of the scenalyzer is below also.

Tried the method suggested and got the same results.

It is an add-in firewire card.

Hope that helps

Name:	scenalyzer.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	56955  

Click image for larger version

Name:	device manager.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	56956  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where you see 'Microsoft DV camera....', can that selection be opened to reveal other selections ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi, no thats the only option
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

My memory is not so good anymore, but as long as I remember, when switching from XP to Win 7 and later on Win 10, I had the same problem. WinDV saw my miniDV camera, but I could not capture. As I remember the problem was in the Firewire (IEEE1394) drivers, not the IEEE 1394 adapter.
    To solve the problem you need to find, download and install Legacy IEEE 1394 drivers. And Voila! everything works.
    Maybe at first uninstall the installed driver from Win 7 / Win 10 and then install Legacy driver.
    I hope this will help. Please tell the results.

Regards,
    Maris
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SC-Live is not my software of choice since I find WinDV much simpler to use (far less settings which can confuse)

Yet running SC-Live I get a different source but that is not an issue given that my source is an ADVC not a camera.

Even so, I still see a live video above the part of the screen that you have captured and the program will still capture the source >> Initially there was an 'Output' button and I had to select 'play' to get the video << So all that confuses the issue. Issues that WinDV should not have.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 56959 - Click to enlarge]

Here is the Print screen.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi Maris 55, I have the drivers but how do I install them so that they show in device manager as they do for you? Ive tried update driver and chosen the location of the new drivers but with no success? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That appears to be the Win8 legacy driver. Only required for Win10 systems where the updates had removed IEEE 1394 capability.

My own Win7 driver, fully working, is dated 2006. You stated you are using XP so that driver should be even earlier.

Edit:

Since I also maintain a XP system I checked. My driver for XP is dated 2001 and is version 5.1.2535
    Last edited by DB83; 24th Jan 2021 at 11:12. Reason: added information for WinXP
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's clearly a driver issue as SClive reported, If you were using Win10 I would suspect a card issue since some card chipsets don't work under Win10, But XP should not be a card problem. If you have a possibility to install Win7 in dual boot do so, Win7 is the best MS OS I've ever used, it has the largest driver library among all MS OS's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keeping reply #14 in mind, what do you see (screen grab/image as you have done may assist) when you click on the 'OHCI....controller' in device manager with the driver tab selected ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. so the current driver is in image 'driver as-is'
    The legacy driver I have is in 'driver to-be'......but it is way newer than the one Maris has in post #14.
    The error I get when trying to update is in 'driver-error'
    Thanks all

Name:	driver as-is.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	57014  

Name:	driver to-be.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	57015  

Name:	driver error.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	57016  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the driver (1st pic) appears to be exactly the same as the one on my own XP system - see my earlier post #16

You can not install a legacy driver for XP unless the driver worked in Win 3x. The whole point of a legacy is to support later systems where there is no current driver. So Win10 uses the Win8 driver in legacy mode.

The final step from the current install is to click 'Driver Details' and see if there are any issues.
    Quote Quote  
  21. hi DB83, thanks for the reply.

No, there are no errors......everything looks as it is working hardware wise. I am thinking of trying a new cable and perhaps a new card. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my mind this is an odd one. You said right back in your OP that the PC/Software reacted when the camera was turned on. So that in it self suggests that the card/cable is communicating with the PC.

What is the brand/model of your card ? A link to it's purchase may also assist. Did it comes with any other drivers specific for the on-board chips and not just the IEEE1394/Firewire interface.

We know the error reported by SCLive. What does WinDV report ? As I mentioned before. Start the program before you turn on the camera and operate the camera manually.

On the hardware front, have you ensured that the card is sitting correctly in the mainboard i.e all pins are in contact. Some time ago, I recall reading on here some issues with certain chipsets so it is possible you do have a bad egg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is one of the more recent topics that discuss DV transfer issues.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/387978-Help-Firewire-Capture-Problems-%21

The recc chipset is TI (Texas Instruments) which is what I have on my built-in mainboard. VIA chipsets seem to give issues.

Some more reading for you.

https://www.videohelp.com/search?siteurl=forum.videohelp.com&q=IEEE+1394+chipset
    Last edited by DB83; 27th Jan 2021 at 13:56. Reason: addit info
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi DB83, thanks for the reply.
    1. It us an Adaptec (Dell?) Card, so i am now thinking that it was part if the build rather than an add-in as I previously thought.
    2. Pictures of the card are included.
    3. Windv does exactly the same. No preview and the count remains at zero.

Im stuck��

Name:	20210127_192754.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	57022  

Name:	20210127_192816.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	57023  

Name:	20210127_194926.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	994.2 KB
ID:	57024  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might well be 'stuck' since that card appears to be legacy PCI (that word again) rather than the later pci-e that is on the current cards.

I do not think these cards came as standard. Dell have always, well they did, offer customisation but is this your PC or a recent acquisition ?

So I doubt you will find a replacement card (I could be wrong but it will take some finding) but a change of cable is an option.
    Quote Quote  
  26. let me propose something from a it angle,
    can you get a used disk and using it install windows 7 or 8 on it and see if the 7 or 8 default driver with that card will allow you to capture?
    of course unplug your existing drive first so you do not lose data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll propose something, as asked by the OP. Try another new cable. It is perfectly possible that one or more of the pins is bent on either end so the connection is not complete.

As for changing the card it seems that these are available both new and used. Look for Adaptec AFW-2100 PCI.

You might also wish to try the other port on the card.
    Quote Quote  
  28. There is one thing no one has mentioned: the settings on your camcorder.

You unfortunately posted a non-existent model number, so I can't look at the manual. However, many DV camcorders which use 1394/Firewire have the ability not only to output the video in the camera over that connection, but can also accept video input via the same connector. A capture app like Scenalyzer (which is definitely the app to use) requires that your camera be set to output video. If instead the camcorder is set to input video from that connection, you can very easily end up with exactly the situation you have described, where the camera "sorta" seems like it is being recognized, but none of the capture apps work.

So, go to the menu on the camcorder and see if you can find an input/output setting for the 1394/Firewire/DV connector, and change it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    John,

You might well have won first prize

As for the camera model GR EX60 appears to point to a VHS-C camcorder but I am sure when I first replied to this thread I eventually found a mini-dv camcorder with a similar name (and a VHS-C would not have firewire output)

Hopefully the OP will come back to the topic with a DOH
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi all, a quick update in response to the most recent posts....
    1. I tried a new cable but the results werethe same.
    2. Fir clarity, JVC Camcorder model number is GR-D60EK. there is no setting to select input as suggested.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote