VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I noticed this recently after downloading a couple of videos from YouTube. I thought I was seeing things but I really noticed when I downloaded the same video I did a couple of days ago and compared them:

Before:

After:

Some other video bitrates even go below 900kbps where as before it would be around the 1500kbps mark.

I'm downloading via IDM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But is it the exact same video ie from the same channel/uploader or some upload from another account ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are always multiple formats of the same 1080p video available (typ. using different codecs)

- Check whether the original video format is still present in the list with youtube-dl -F url
    - and/or if the two videos use the same codec with mediainfo

Youtube affects more bitrate to VP9, AV1 than h264...
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not recently, its the same process since forever

Youtube compresses the videos after a while, popular videos faster (sometimes within 1h) so its best to download new videos asap

In a livestream the quality is usually lower than the later archived version
    sometimes it also happens that a video gets bigger, like a few days ago; first it was like 430MB and a day later it was 7xxMB (1080p avc DASH137) but its usually getting smaller after a while

And a month later it usually will be recompressed again
    Last edited by nimrahwt; 20th Jan 2021 at 08:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But is it the exact same video ie from the same channel/uploader or some upload from another account ?
    The same channel/uploader.
    Quote Quote