VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to capture line 21 closed caption (EIA-608) data from an analog Laserdisc source. I'd like it to end up in something like an SRT file. I've spent several hours trying to make this work somehow. I'm using an old bt878 based card (Hauppauge) for this because they're well-supported and versatile.

I've tried zvbi-ntsc-cc in Linux, which never decodes anything.

I've also tried following these old instructions for Graphedit, which looked promising, but apparently requires a special doom9 version of Graphedit which includes a "dump" filter. I can't find that anywhere, it seems to be gone now. http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML#capture_analog

I've even tried using the bt8x8 tweaker in VirtualDub to see if I can capture the VBI lines directly into the image. I can, but there doesn't seem to be any tool that can do anything useful with that.

So, this is starting to drive me nuts now. Does anybody have any idea how I can get this accomplished? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this it?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166933
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 16th Jan 2021 at 02:56.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mike Chambers View Post
    I've been trying to capture line 21 closed caption (EIA-608) data from an analog Laserdisc source. I'd like it to end up in something like an SRT file. I've spent several hours trying to make this work somehow. I'm using an old bt878 based card (Hauppauge) for this because they're well-supported and versatile.

I've tried zvbi-ntsc-cc in Linux, which never decodes anything.

I've also tried following these old instructions for Graphedit, which looked promising, but apparently requires a special doom9 version of Graphedit which includes a "dump" filter. I can't find that anywhere, it seems to be gone now. http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML#capture_analog

I've even tried using the bt8x8 tweaker in VirtualDub to see if I can capture the VBI lines directly into the image. I can, but there doesn't seem to be any tool that can do anything useful with that.

So, this is starting to drive me nuts now. Does anybody have any idea how I can get this accomplished? Thanks!
    If you want to try GraphStudioNext instead of GraphEdit, it seems to have a dump filter that can be accessed via the pop-up menu that appears when the user selects Graph->Insert Filter.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to both of you, these both seem to be viable solutions. I'll give it another try.
    Quote Quote