VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm converting some VHS footage and rendering as MP4 MAgix AVC codec. I'm using CBR and the presets jump from 4mbps to 10mbps. Is there a way to unlock it and choose a custom. 8mbps should be sufficient I think and save a little bit of space. 10 just seems like overkill to me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Bump. Never found out if this is possible or not. Anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It would help if you mentioned what actual software you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Magix Vegas Pro 17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use version 15 but everything is customizable. As soon as you select closest template, save it under some new name and customize it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this codec specifically for capture or is it considered typical consumer end product like H.264?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is this codec specifically for capture or is it considered typical consumer end product like H.264?
    it's the old sony h.264 codec. magix has stopped buying and including the mainconcept h.264 codec with vegas pro so you're stuck with only the magix one now.

stantheman. use 2 pass vbr with the magix codec. much better results and you can change the "average" bitrate to exactly what you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it's the old sony h.264 codec. magix has stopped buying and including the mainconcept h.264 codec with
    So they call that formerly Sony avc codex as Magix avc?
    But luckily even that Sony settings was customizable. Value for bitrate could be just typed in. At least with this version 15.

Also Voucoder is working on Vegas Pro now. I tested it, just H.264 which uses x264 (much,much better). It needs two installations. regular core installation and then "connector" for particular Vegas version. Besides x264 and H.264 encoding it can select a container as mov,mp4 or mkv. And encode FFV1, HAP(not sure what it is), H264(x264),HEVC(x265),ProRes, VP8,VP9. And audio: AAC(ffmpeg), AC3,ALAC,Dolby True HD, DTS, EAC3(DD+),FLAC,MP3,Opus,PCM,Vorbis.
    Was trying it and H264 worked,
    problems: if trying to overwrite already existing file. So I had to encode always to non existing name. If filename already existed, it crashed.Also it tends to crash just when going into a menu and just selecting things without actual encoding, leaving settings and and when trying to set something again it could crash. I have win7Pro and Vegas 15Pro.
    It also uses zscale so video could be scaled to desired resolution before encoding (sure only if having progressive video if not deinterlacing above), it can use Yadif or bwdif for deinterlacing, removegrain, hqdn3d, set colorspace flags into video.
    Tried to encode NTSCDV with bff flag and it was encoded properly with BFF flag and MBAFF.

x264 settings and using x264 to encode H264, using CRF insted of CBR is superior especially for SD video. Unfortunately Voucoder is not (and cannot be set) using QTGMC for deinterlacing.

And there is always Debug Mode Frame server available (+Avisynth or Vapoursynth) and using QTGMC, but that one has audio glitches so mostly it is used for video only.
    Last edited by _Al_; 1st Mar 2021 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it's the old sony h.264 codec. magix has stopped buying and including the mainconcept h.264 codec with
    So they call that formerly Sony avc codex as Magix avc?
    But luckily even that Sony settings was customizable. Value for bitrate could be just typed in. At least with this version 15.

i have version 16 and you can't type in a value for the bitrate if you choose "constant" bitrate. only works if you choose "variable" bitrate.

i'll have to check out voucoder, sounds good.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just checked their website, latest versions are: voukoder-7.2.msi for core module and vegas-connector-1.1.0.msi (for Vegas Pro 15, Vegas 18 has different download for connector) ,

but I tested voukoder-3.msi and vegas-connector-1.1.0.msi, so pretty old core version, have to update also, it could be the reason for that crashing, not sure.
    Quote Quote