VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping you'll be able to advise the if it's possible to resolve the issue I have with a VHS tape I'm trying to convert to digital. Probably like many people I've aquired my grandfathers old tapes and am going throught them and collating all the family stuff. One video in particular is pretty special as it seems to be a vhs conversion from some old cine films he took.

I've converted the VHS conversion to digital using the video capture software as I have for many other videos but sadly this one, perhaps due to it's age has an issue with it. Please see this link https://youtu.be/z2P2WgPC-l0 where i have uploaded a sample. I'm not sure of the correct term for this issue but as you can see it seems to be video frames regularly flicking up so the top is at the bottom.

It only seems to occur during a 5 to 10 minute section of the tape and the rest seems fine. Annoyingly it occurs on footage of me as a small child (yes thats me in the clip haha).

So if anyone could advise if it's at all possible to resolve that issue I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does the VHS tape on the VCR play the scenes correctly, without errors?
    In that case, it could be an incorrect FPS setting when capturing. If your capture device allows you to set the fps, try one of the following values:
    25 (PAL)
    29.97 (NTSC)
    23.976 (NTSC)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ellrocko-I changed your thread title to a more descriptive one and moved your thread to the capturing forum.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Does the VHS tape on the VCR play the scenes correctly, without errors?
    In that case, it could be an incorrect FPS setting when capturing. If your capture device allows you to set the fps, try one of the following values:
    25 (PAL)
    29.97 (NTSC)
    23.976 (NTSC)
    Thats a good question, honestly I've not tried. Unfortunatley I don't have a TV with a scart or composite input to test it on, just the USB capture device and for some reason the preview window on that doesn't work. I'll see if I can find something though on which to test it, that's a good shout.

Just curious though, would the flicker not be present across the whole tape if the capture settings were incorrect?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ellrocko View Post
    Just curious though, would the flicker not be present across the whole tape if the capture settings were incorrect?
    Yes, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In that case and as the issue only seems to be there on a small section do you think then perhaps the issue is not the capture settings frame rate but something else maybe?

Is there a technical name for the issue? I've googled flickering but that seems to vague really and I see lots of other terms discussed so not totally sure what I should be looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What VCR and capture card are you using? It looks like there is an issue with the vidoe signal on the tape, you can see that there are missing lines that are being filled in at the bottom at least, maybe something went wrong when the tape was recorded or it got damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The technical name is frame roll and it's caused by a damaged or partially erased VBI signal on the tape, I have one tape like that, It has severe damage/curling to the bottom of the tape that was big enough to reach the VBI signal of each field (the black stripes between frames), I've tried several frame TBC's and none fixed it.
    Quote Quote