VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, staxrip noob here. So I am trying to encode a 4k HDR movie with staxrip, I have tried with Nvenc H265 multipass (2pass full) and with x265 2 pass slow. The quality of x265 2 pass slow is definitely much better than the Nvenc one, however it took me about 26 hours to encode it, whereas the Nvenc one took about 2 hours.

So now I am trying to get the best of both worlds, by running x265 slow for the first pass and then use the stats file to use on Nvenc 2nd pass. Only problem is I don't know how to do this and where the stats file is kept. So my question is, is this possible? If so, how to do it? I am using Staxrip 2.1.6 stable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not possible in staxrip or any other software
    Quote Quote  
  3. I see... so is it because Nvenc 2 pass doesn't exactly create a stats file anywhere?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dennisbgi7 View Post
    I see... so is it because Nvenc 2 pass doesn't exactly create a stats file anywhere?
    Yes, NVENC handles 2pass rate control internally . It has no ability in the API to read or write a stats file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by dennisbgi7 View Post
    I see... so is it because Nvenc 2 pass doesn't exactly create a stats file anywhere?
    Yes, NVENC handles 2pass rate control internally . It has no ability in the API to read or write a stats file.
    I see, in general however is the 2 pass Nvenc any better than a single pass when talking about 4K HDR content?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dennisbgi7 View Post

I see, in general however is the 2 pass Nvenc any better than a single pass when talking about 4K HDR content?
    Nvidia claims it is "better" , and that full resolution mode is "better" than the 1/4 resolution 1st pass.

Not sure if it's been tested or validated thoroughly in specific situations by 3rd parties; but it makes sense at face value that 2 passes would be better than 1, and full resolution would be better than 1/4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dennisbgi7 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by dennisbgi7 View Post
    You can find some info about NVIDIA's 2-pass principle here. It operates on frame base which is quite different from the 'classic' 2-pass of x264 for example.
    https://docs.nvidia.com/video-technologies/video-codec-sdk/nvenc-video-encoder-api-pro...ame-phencoding
    Quote Quote