VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old DVD I burned years back. It has VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS folders. Withing the VIDEO_TS folder are three VOB files (its one movie that was automatically split into three VOB's). I have also ripped the dvd on to my harddrive and converted the movie into an mkv file.

My goal is to burn this exact movie onto another dvd with a new custom menu that I create. All of the DVD authoring programs I can find dont work with mkv files. I've tried converting the files 20 times through VLC and handbrake but I always lose quality regardless of what quality settings I choose-mainly converted to mp4. I just want to take these exact VOB or mkv files and put them onto a new dvd with a new menu, without having to convert them into some other format. Is this possible? Thanks so much for your help.
    Last edited by grinchmas; 5th Jan 2021 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vobtompg can convert the video in the vobs to a standard dvd spec mpg2 without changing the quality at all. from there you can use the file in a dvd authoring program to create a new menu. no loss of any quality.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most DVD authoring tools that allow you to create menus will accept your original vobs, or at least your vobs re-wraped to mpeg 2 files. What authoring software have you tried?
    Quote Quote  
  4. What's in the MKV file? If it was a simple remux of the MPEG2 video and AC3 audio from the VOB files you can remux them back to an MPG or VOB file (no loss of quality) with a tool like MkvExtractGUI, AviDemux, ffmpeg, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    vobtompg can convert the video in the vobs to a standard dvd spec mpg2 without changing the quality at all. from there you can use the file in a dvd authoring program to create a new menu. no loss of any quality.
    It really is this easy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was planning on using iDVD on an old mac I have to author the new menu (I also have an old copy of DVD Studio Pro on the old mac). Neither accepted the VOB or mkv files though. I also have a newer mac book so any program I download would have to be for a mac. Also, if possible, the program would be free and not have viruses. I'm not against paying for something that will work though! I read that roxio was a good program but before paying for it I read that it didn't support mkv files so I held off.
    Last edited by grinchmas; 5th Jan 2021 at 18:53.
    Quote Quote  
  7. vobtompg unfortunately wont work since I only have macs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    vobtompg unfortunately wont work since I only have macs.
    Try just renaming the .VOB files .MPG. That works with some VOB files and some software.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    vobtompg unfortunately wont work since I only have macs.
    Try just renaming the .VOB files .MPG. That works with some VOB files and some software.
    Yes, try this: if you're lucky it will work for this particular DVD's contents.

If not, download VOB2MPG (for Windows 7) or DVDVOB2MPG (for Windows 10) from the VideoHelp software library, put the installer on a USB stick, and ask somebody you know with a Windows PC if you can come over and use it for an hour. If they're OK with you installing a video tool, install it from your USB stick. Use it to rip the DVD into standard lossless MPG files (takes about 20 mins). Copy the MPGs to your USB stick, thank your friend, take them home, and import them to iDVD for re-authoring (assuming you have a version of iDVD that imports standard MPGs).

I've been using Macs for a lot of things since 1989, but haven't touched them for DVD work since 2008. The Windows-only freeware DVD tools are more standardized and less fussy to use in today's environment. There were/are similar freeware/payware utilities for Mac, but MacOSX is a rats nest of version compatibility traps (things got messy after 10.5, so you may need a very specific version of any given DVD tool depending which OSX is running your old Mac). There's also a maddening Catch-22 trap where many dvd/video tools require you have the Quicktime MPEG-2 Playback Component installed on your Mac: if not, they won't work with VOBs/MPGs, but that optional extra-cost Apple OS component has been discontinued / unobtainable for several years.
    Last edited by orsetto; 5th Jan 2021 at 20:59.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVDStyler runs on a MAC. It has the option "DVD -> Add -> Titles from DVD..." (Only works with 1 title or the first title)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Neither of my programs accept mpeg files. I guess I have a three layered problem. I want to copy this exact movie file without any loss in quality and without having to convert it to another format. That format then needs to be able to work on a mac dvd authoring program. I've spent a combined 20 hours trying to figure this out and nothing is working. I will download anything I have to download pay for anything I have to pay for but it has to be done on a mac somehow. I guess its possible that it just cant be done on a mac but that be really confusing considering I can play back the mkv and VOB files on the mac. I can see the footage I just cant get it into dvd software haha. Super frustrating
    Last edited by grinchmas; 6th Jan 2021 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Is there any windows based dvd authoring software that allows you to drop in a mkv or vob file directly?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I wouldn't ignore videobruger's suggestion of DVDStyler, if I were you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    Neither of my programs accept mpeg files. I guess I have a three layered problem. I want to copy this exact movie file without any loss in quality and without having to convert it to another format. That format then needs to be able to work on a mac dvd authoring program. I've spent a combined 20 hours trying to figure this out and nothing is working. I will download anything I have to download pay for anything I have to pay for but it has to be done on a mac somehow. I guess its possible that it just cant be done on a mac but that be really confusing considering I can play back the mkv and VOB files on the mac. I can see the footage I just cant get it into dvd software haha. Super frustrating
    There's a difference between playback and editing/authoring, on both Windows and Mac platforms, tho it can be more pronounced and annoying on Mac depending which OSX version is involved. Playback is often via self-contained media player programs, but editing/authoring spiders out into the OS itself along with other factors. So its very possible to easily play a particular file format on a particular computer but be unable to edit/author it to dvd on the same computer. Your most probable issue is your old authoring apps won't import VOB or MPEG files, only DV , or you're getting slammed by the "Quicktime MPEG2 Component Is Missing" glitch: try videobruger's suggestion of DVDstyler instead. It should work as long as you just have one primary video on the dvd you need to re-author. One large main video might be split into several VOBs when you look at the dvd contents in a Mac Finder window, but DVDstyler understands they're all part of the one video. If the multiple VOBs represent unrelated individual videos, you'll need another workaround.

Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    Is there any windows based dvd authoring software that allows you to drop in a mkv or vob file directly?
    Yes, the most popular and discussed being AVS2DVD here on VH. There are several others, both payware and freeware. Note the PC can be older than dirt: you can use anything sitting around someone's basement, it just needs to be functional. When I'm overloaded I sometimes pull out an ancient Compaq Windows Vista laptop, works just fine for DVD authoring. If you can borrow or buy an old Windows desktop or laptop cheap at Goodwill or something, getting this project done might be easier than trying to coax your old (or more recent) Mac into it.
    Last edited by orsetto; 6th Jan 2021 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote