VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I have old Vivax DVD recorder which is dead. On his HDD I have videos which I really wan't to save. I managed to put HDD on HDD Caddy and with IsoBuster I managed to find 2 video files but on both video files are randomly scenes from my videos that were storaged on HDD (there was around 5 or 6 videos). How can I transfer videos with original start and ending position?

P.S. some scenes are missing after I recovered files, video is glitching and it is totaly unwatchable.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you using the trial version of ISObuster, or did you purchase a full license from the developer's website? The free trial version is limited to just showing you a partial demo of what it can salvage from a recorder HDD: to actually use the feature and properly transfer the videos to your PC, you must purchase a full license (approx 40 euro). If you did purchase the fully operational version:

ISObuster is pretty great at this task, but there are a few DVD/HDD recorder formats that the developer has not been able to fully solve (typically because he has not been able to obtain a sample of that recorder to examine closely). I've never heard of the Vivax brand in USA, and Google returns nothing but hits in Croatian language, so its not clear who actually mfr'd the machines. Either Vivax uses a file variation ISObuster cannot fully parse, or the HDD in your unit is corrupted/damaged to the point ISObuster cannot salvage enough data to recreate the videos.

Before ISObuster added capability to semi-automatically transfer videos from DVD recorder hard disks to PC a few years ago, the only method available was to tediously reconstruct a video fragment by fragment with a HDD salvage utility/editor like Stellar Phoenix. I suppose its possible such an app might be able to find more on your HDD than ISObuster did, but the work involved could be very difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply. I will try with stellar software.

P. S. I have full licence isobuster. Vivax DV Rhd100 is model of recorder. It is manufactured in Croatia. HDD is western digital 80 GB. HDD is surely not damaged. I watched videos normaly on dvd recorder before he stopped working. I cant turn him on any more.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It appears the Vivax DV RHD100 was made in Asia, not Europe (almost all home video products were made in China by 2007 when this model was current). Who exactly made it for Vivax remains difficult to track down, since all the web reports of it are in Croatian and Google Translate is too clumsy to help in searching down such technical facts. Since you do speak the language and live there, perhaps you would have better luck searching thru the review websites to see if any of them mention the actual mfr that made the unit? I was able to comprehend a few remarks that Vivax sold standard recorders that had been customized with special firmware optimizing the menu displays for your language. Based on the design of the front panel, the true mfr was probably Funai/Phillips, LG or Lite On: some of these are not as well-supported by ISObuster as Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba and very late model (post-2008) Funai/Phillips recorders.

Originally Posted by Sicok View Post
    HDD is surely not damaged. I watched videos normaly on dvd recorder before he stopped working. I cant turn him on any more.
    It is possible the HDD became damaged by whatever caused the unit to go dead. These recorder HDDs are not as protected as computer HDDs: if power to the recorder is suddenly interrupted by a surge in house electricity, or a capacitor wearing out in the unit, the HDD can easily trash its directory and video files.

Have you tried to get the unit repaired by an electronics technician? Sometimes it is much easier/better to repair the recorder than extract videos from the HDD with a PC. If your Vivax simply stopped working completely one day (no power to the display, won't turn on at all), it might actually be a simple repair: in most cases such a total failure is caused by either a blown fuse or an aging capacitor in the power area that needs to be replaced. Neither is difficult or a peculiar problem specific to video recorders: any shop that repairs computers should be able to test if your Vivax needs these simple repairs. Since ISObuster is unable to retrieve complete videos from Vivax HDD, your best solution might be to repair the unit so it can again burn it's HDD videos to DVD, then copy the DVD video files to your PC that way. Reconstructing 80GB worth of video fragments bit by bit with an HDD salvage tool will be very tedious, time consuming, and may result in missing minutes of the videos. Look into having the Vivax serviced if possible: if the HDD was not damaged by the power breakdown, the recorder should be good as new after repair.
    Last edited by orsetto; 6th Jan 2021 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for quick reply. I will try to repair dvd recorder first. Thanks a lot. It is very probably fuse or something like that. DVD recorder stopped working over night. You cant turn him on any more.
    Quote Quote