VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Image
    [Attachment 56624 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 56623 - Click to enlarge]
    Hi!

In 2014 I captured/imported most of my 120+ Mini-DV tapes. It was done via iMovie on the iMac I had at the time, which had a Firewire port. (Unfortunately the iMac broke down a couple of years later, before I had captured all of the tapes.)

Anyway - now I want to make the videos easily accessible over our LAN, so I plan to save the videos on our NAS (Synology).

But to be able to watch them over our LAN, I assume that I need to convert them to another format?

But before I start to convert the files, I just wanted to double check that everything looks OK so that I don't make any rookie mistakes.

(1) Does it look like I captured/imported the tapes correctly? See attached image with information about one of the files (I used MediaInfo to check the file).

(2) If the captured/imported files looks OK, I'm planning to convert them to MP4 in the app Wondershare UniConverter (Same as scource, Original Resolution). Are there any reasons I should consider doing it in another way?

Thank you very much in advance!

Peter
    Last edited by Tunanisse; 4th Jan 2021 at 10:27. Reason: Forgot to attach the images
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't see any files or pictures attached
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry! I didn't realize that the images never were uploaded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    No problem.

The captured files look all good. But I don't reccomend using Wondershare UniConverter.
    For example you can use HandBrake for easy converting. It also works on Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks! How come you don’t recommend Wondershare UniConverter?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tunanisse View Post
    How come you don’t recommend Wondershare UniConverter?
    Well, it is one of those crappy converters. There are definetly better options.
    You must consider that your videos are interlaced and can/should be deinterlaced with QTGMC or similar
    if you want to avoid the scanlines when playing on a device or program not cabable of deinterlacing.
    Last edited by phelissimo_; 21st May 2022 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You seem to have captured them fine for a Mac. But note that they appear to be RAW DV files, NOT dv in some standard multimedia container (e.g. Quicktime MOV, or AVI, MXF, etc)*. As such an un-multiplexed stream, they might not be recognizable to some apps. Quicktime-architected apps SHOULD understand it, it being a Mac and all, but you conversion options there are quite limited with modern Macs. Basically, your options would be h264 or h265 compression in a MOV or MP4 container (good for consumer-level playback applications), or upconverting to ProRes in MOV container (good for pro/semi-pro use with editing apps).
    This might be ok for you if all the player apps you intend to connect to that server are going to be modern Mac/iOS based.

If more ubiquity and generality is required, you will probably be best served by going with a ffmpeg-based converter and choosing h264 in mp4 with deinterlace processing, such as was recommended with QTGMC.
    Don't forget, as dv material, your stuff is ALL interlaced.

Scott

*this is common with iMovie. Contrast that with FCP which captures & stores DV into Type2 quicktime MOV files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not think anyone has discussed this. You said words to the effect "Same as source, original resolution".

I take that you intend to make an mp4 as 720*576 4:3.

The problem with that approach is that your player might not recognise the AR flag and you end up with 5:4 video rather than 4:3. A safer option would be to resize either as 768*576 (which is how your DV video natively appears) or 720*540 with both, but the latter more importantly, de-interlaced BEFORE the resize. Of course you can resize as you wish but retain a 4:3 ratio so 1440*1080 is also viable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Here is how a NTSC DV file from a customer's tape looks like after being de-interlaced with QTGMC, resized to 1440x1080 and encoded to h.264, a PAL source may look little better due to a different chroma subsampling (4:2:0), The NTSC file undergone a chroma sub change from 4:1:1 to 4:2:2 before doing all the steps above, It is better that way than working from 4:1:1 file and the scripts won't accept such files anyway.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote