VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm not sure where to ask my question, but basically I would need the help of a MP4 expert to tell me what makes side-by-side stereoscopic MP4 files (exported from Magix Movie Edit Pro Plus) play differently in VLC (or most video players) and Microsoft's Films & TV (or any Microsoft-based software, including OneDrive).
    A side-by-side (SBS) stereoscopic video is simply a video whose left half of the picture corresponds to the left-eye view and the right-side half of the picture corresponds to the right-eye view. However, the SBS mp4 files exported by Movie Edit Pro have something special that makes them play differently in different players.

In VLC, the video is fully displayed, i.e. showing both halves.
    In Windows's default software like Films & TV or Photos, only the left half is shown.

I tried to find the reason for this difference by looking into the files using MP4 Inspector, but I could not find anything. For reference, I am attaching such a file (test1.mp4) which plays differently in VLC and Films & TV. I also re-imported this file into Movie Edit Pro, then exported it as a non-stereoscopic video (test2.mp4). Now this file plays identically on VLC and Films & TV, i.e. both halves are displayed.
    Ultimately, my goal (if possible) is to alter sbs videos exported by Movie Edit Pro such that they display both halves in Films & TV, without having to recompress the stream (and lose quality).

(note: in the sample attachments, the left side is blue and the right side is green).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote