VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have found some video files that pixelate and stall on the Pi but play OK on PC (and an Andriod device).
    In the filename is 'x265', but others also have this and are okay.
    I believe its possible to add or upgrade the Pi software. I sometimes see a notification but so far have been unable to work out how to get/apply it.
    Any help sorting this much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. RPi 3B doesn't have a hardware h.265 decoder so it has to do it with the CPU. The CPU isn't strong enough for much more than 1280x720 at 24 fps. What are you playing from? Network share? USB flash drive? USB hard drive? Bandwidth from the device could be a problem with high bitrates. And what player are you using? I usually use Kodi.

The RPi 4 has hardware h.265 decoding so it's much better for h.265 (HEVC). But right now the best deal for a media player is probably the 2020 Chromecast with Google TV. I got one recently and it plays just about everything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm playing them from a Network share. I don't think bandwidth is the problem as they play ok on an Android Device - same network. This is a lot older than the Pi but I guess different hardware? If there's nothing I can do to fix it, we'll make do as is. The player is also KODI (I think).
    Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote