VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Assuming your friend's report is accurate, the most likely explanation is either Disney simply neglected to protect that particular tape in the PAL version, so no problem, or his specific example of the Dazzle was able to pass video thru that specific protection version. So you may as well at least try it, since it might work for you too.
    You're right, I guess I have nothing to lose and I should at least try it. Might be an easy solution.

By the way, my family owned a top loaded VCR we bought around 1980 and that VCR bypassed Macrovision. I believe it was Telefunken VR-440. It was funny because we used that VCR throughout the whole 80s and half of the 90s to copy probably hundreds of tapes and we weren't even aware of copy protections on tapes. It was not until that Telefunken finally broke down after more than 15 years of use that we learned about Macrovision, when we bought a new VCR. lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What the OP needed or still could use maybe, is a "Video Stabilizer " which is a simple box that neutralizes MV. RCA composite in and RCA composite out. Then search out whatever, or the best capture device that is within budget. A two-box approach rather than one box that does it all.

I copied a boatload of old VHS concert tapes in the 2002 - 2010 era or PC capturing, and burned them to DVDs. All titles that never appeared on DVD or even LD. I ended up buying a DataVaideo TBC-1000, but kept the stabilizer on hand anyway. I wonder what they go for now? I think I paid around $25 in 1989.

There it is, from Canada, $25 USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133818574898?epid=1753061543&hash=item1f28356832:g:b0AAAOSw2Odf-JcY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hiptune View Post
    What the OP needed or still could use maybe, is a "Video Stabilizer " which is a simple box that neutralizes MV. RCA composite in and RCA composite out. Then search out whatever, or the best capture device that is within budget. A two-box approach rather than one box that does it all.
    I copied a boatload of old VHS concert tapes in the 2002 - 2010 era or PC capturing, and burned them to DVDs. All titles that never appeared on DVD or even LD. I ended up buying a DataVaideo TBC-1000, but kept the stabilizer on hand anyway. I wonder what they go for now? I think I paid around $25 in 1989.
    Those never worked in the digital realm.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I thought this thread was about VHS transfers to DVD, which is analog tape, and at that stage, is exactly where one would use this box.

PS they also work capturing a DVD signal from composite. At least they worked when I tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry meant to reply to this topic some time ago just forgot all about it.

I still have a Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U something I used a lot in my time and this bypassed every single tape I had that was mv protected, only downfall was the windvd creator 2 software it needed a certain patch that fixed the issue of it shutting down when recording. I would still use this device if I could find the patch but it's no good without it, I tried the ulead software that come with the USA version but that was just as bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I thought this thread was about VHS transfers to DVD, which is analog tape, and at that stage, is exactly where one would use this box.
    No.

That ancient 1980s device was often enough to fool another VCR into thinking anti-copy was not present, for the purpose of copying VHS to another VHS. But the signal was still dirty. When you capture/digitize VHS tapes, the input signal must be clean, otherwise all sorts of problems present. Some errors are just ugly to view, others prevent capturing entirely. It's not a TBC, or even a type of TBC.

Many have tried this box, some claim to have success (rarely actually the case, especially when their capture results are seen), but most have issues. Again, because it's not a TBC.

Originally Posted by lojelo5 View Post
    windvd creator 2 software
    Horrible capture software. Use VirtualDub, capture lossless. (If you must have MPEG capture, get a MPEG hardware card. Or ATI AIW for use with WinXP only.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Horrible capture software. Use VirtualDub, capture lossless. (If you must have MPEG capture, get a MPEG hardware card. Or ATI AIW for use with WinXP only.)
    Yep I know that mate I did try VirtualDub but went over to using Lite-on machines instead I haven't used the device in years the Lite-ons are good enough for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That's just a Dazzle.
    BS.
    What do you mean?

Dazzle DVC 100 reports that video is protected with Macrovision by setting a flag, but does not disable the video unlike the AverMedia CE310B. Pinnacle's own software reads the flag and refuses to capture, but VirtualDub has no problems with it. I captured from several tapes from Paramount, Warner Brothers and and MGM - purely as a scientific experiment, of course. No problems. I made a video about Dazzle devices, if anyone cares for some light entertainment. I suppose DVC 101, 103 and 107 work exactly the same as the 100, because these are essentially the same devices. They have been available since 2006, but they still can be found on eBay, even as NIB.

BTW, does anyone know what exactly is being sold now by Pinnacle? Is it DVC 100 or something else? Other websites show device name as DVCPTENAM. The Amazon page says that it works with only 64-bit versions of Windows, which is weird, because there are 32-bit drivers for DVC 100. I did not care to buy a new unit from Amazon just to check the model number, but maybe someone have bought one?

Here is a shot from Doc Hollywood.

Quote Quote  
  9. I doubt the currently sold dazzle is the same as the DVC 100 at least, as that used a Philips/Trident/NXP SAA7113 IC which as far as I know is no longer produced. I'm not sure if the USB IC is either.

The driver/patch I could find suggests it's some empia chip based product still, though I'm not sure if it is or it just contained an extra driver or smth, but no idea which.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    I doubt the currently sold dazzle is the same
    Even used, not the same. There were multiple revisions, some noted in the model fine print, some not. Pinnacle and Hauppauge were notorious for component changes, often vast differences in chips. From some companies, model means nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if my question is totally stupid, but is there any sort of copy protection, either Macrovision or other, which were used on blank VHSs? I mean could it happen that someone buys some blank VHSs, use them to record his home videos on it, and he is trapped, because all those analouge data cannot be digitalized?

The background is that I ran out of ideas why a usb videograbber can “show” the video content of my only CVC used years ago in my camera, while at the same time cannot do with that of any of my VHSs used years ago to be copied recordings from this CVC onto. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401457-AT-MY-WITS-END!!-VHS-capture-device/page2#post2675373

Thus I thought maybe there are some false protection on my VHSs, which makes impossible to digitalize their video content.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No domestic VHS creates true copy-protection but if the signal is weak then there could be 'false-macrovision'

I have also replied to the other topic.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well then maybe I should create new, fresh content onto one of the VHSs and see whether it appears through the video grabber.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can. But if you no longer have analogue broadcasting or a dvd-player or another device that can support analogue out recodings are no longer possible.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My idea was to shot a short video with this old camera (so I have to literally take it out from the dustbin where I yesterday threw it into), and repeat the copy process from the camera to a never-used VHS which I still have.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Probably someone screwed up the recordings from the VHS-C (again, not CVC) to the full size VHS cassette by not plugging in the composite connector in the right plug and manage to plug in the audio cable/cables in their right plugs, It happened quite a lot back in the day. But if you have the original VHS-C tapes why would you want to digitize the copies?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    “Probably someone screwed up the recordings from the VHS-C (again, not CVC) to the full size VHS cassette by not plugging in the composite connector in the right plug and manage to plug in the audio cable/cables in their right plugs, It happened quite a lot back in the day. “

I guess you had written it before checking the other thread with the details. I was the one who could have screwed up the recordings, but if the video recordings on VHSs are properly playable back on a TV, then I guess it confirms I could not use wrong plug. And it is so simple: one video plug, one audio, both on my camcorder, and in the front of my VCR.

“But if you have the original VHS-C tapes why would you want to digitize the copies?”

The answer is in the other thread. I used 2 VHS-c of 30 minutes to shot videos and finally I had a content of 16 hours “archived” on 4 VHSs of 240 minutes in SP mode + 2VHSs of 240 mins in LP mode as secondary/backup copies.
    Quote Quote