VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newer PC w/ latest Windows 10 & an Asus ES3-100 video capture card. Using a Sony VCR to transfer my tapes. But since the original VirtualDub would not let me monitor the capture process, I tried VirtualDub2. It works, but the audio is heavily distorted (this is true whether it's a test capture or just playing the tape in preview mode). Mainly this is due to VD2 using the microphone (the mic icon comes on in the SysTray) & having the VU meters nearly pegging at 0dB. Problem is that I can't find a setting to lower the audio levels (either in VD2 or in W10). Any idea(s)?
    Like a flea circus at a dog show!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a software solution, but if you can find an RCA gain control knob you should be able to lower the volume of your footage before it reaches your capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should be capturing audio from the RCA inputs of the pigtail adapter for that capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As Jagabo said, select capture card as the audio device not the microphone in both windows audio mixer and Vdub2, And if using the microphone jack for audio that is totally wrong, The microphone input expects a very low signal level not a line level signal, you may risk blowing the mic preamp inside the computer if you keep doing it for longer periods of time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you're forced to use the computer's mic input for some reason -- the microphone input often has a -20 dB attenuation option so it can be used as a line in instead of mic in.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In VD2, the capture device is set to the Asus card (under "Device" menu). Under "Audio," there are a bunch of items, but only, "0 Capture Device" works. There are two other capture devices listed for the card, but if I select either one, the video monitor goes black & nothing happens if I preview the video (see attached image; the blue background is from my VCR). Note: the card shows as an ES3-150 because of the final driver version, but it is an ES3-100.

The VCR is connected to the card using the composite dongle it came w/. And while Realtek audio options are shown, my monitor has speakers, but gets audio through the HDMI cable (NVidia HD or whatever). Therefore, nothing is connected to any of the audio jacks on the back of the motherboard (e.g. no separate mic). Finally, the mic icon comes on when I start capture; if I open the mixer, all I see is a volume slider for VD2, but no mic attenuation.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vd2audio.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	56386  

Like a flea circus at a dog show!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your motherboard allows, try running the audio direct from the VCR to the Line In. Then you should be able to control the audio level with the Windows mixer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try disabling audio playback in VirtualDub. See if it captures any better.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Check "Audio -> RAW Capture format" and see which options are shown. Try to change the value and test the results. I had a similar problem (bad audio) and found VDub2 was capturing audio at 32Khz by default instead of the 48Khz I need to get good quality from my device.
    Quote Quote