VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I currently have a cable that is one end is 3.5mm jack and the other is 2 RCAs. Similar to the attached image.

[Attachment 56358 - Click to enlarge]

I use it to transfer video from my old camera (2 RCA) to my not so old camera (3.5 mm minijack). It works perfect and it transfers Video and Audio fine in the same cable.

Now I have another camcorder with only 3.5 mm port. Hence, to connect both camcorders that have 3.5 mm port, I need a cable that is both ends 3.5 mm minijack which is capable of transferring Video and Audio. Similar to the attached image below.

[Attachment 56359 - Click to enlarge]

I looked everywhere and all of them say, they only transfer Audio which I do not understand as mine transfers both.

Any explanation or where to find such cable will be appreciated.

Regards
    Sahm
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would imagine you mean one of these.
    It is not possible to transfer stereo audio and composite video down a three pole connector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MainCore-3-5mm-Triple-Composite-Converter/dp/B07DYF432Q/ref=s...8565403&sr=8-4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You may want to look for a "3.5mm jack plug/plug 4-Pin AUX connection cable", e.g. by Goobay.

Examples at SkinFlint (known as "Geizhals" in German speaking areas)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Difference between TRS and TRRS. Use the correct one(s) on each end, as they don't match up contacts if using incorrect one, and even if they did, might be wrong signal. Strange things can happen.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sahm View Post
    I use it to transfer video from my old camera (2 RCA) to my not so old camera (3.5 mm minijack). It works perfect and it transfers Video and Audio fine in the same cable.
    Is the audio mono? I assume it must be. One RCA for audio and one for video. For the camera with the mini jack, the mono audio probably ends up in both channels, assuming the second one is capable of stereo audio.

Originally Posted by Sahm View Post
    Now I have another camcorder with only 3.5 mm port. Hence, to connect both camcorders that have 3.5 mm port, I need a cable that is both ends 3.5 mm minijack which is capable of transferring Video and Audio. Similar to the attached image below.

I looked everywhere and all of them say, they only transfer Audio which I do not understand as mine transfers both.
    An RCA to mini jack cable capable of carrying video and stereo audio would look something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Onvian-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Video/dp/B06XKMBB9L/ref=sr_1_4?dchild...8583061&sr=8-4

For mini jack to mini jack, you could use an adaptor
    https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Splitter-Stereo-Female-Adapter/dp/B07LB2Z3Z3/ref=sr_1_8?d...8583061&sr=8-8

Or just a mini jack to mini jack cable for video and stereo audio
    https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Insignia-Aduiovox-Naviskauto-Portable/dp/B00W8FAQV8/ref=...583061&sr=8-13

Do the manuals for the cameras specify the type of mini jack to use?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Many Thanks
    super8rescue
    LigH.de
    Cornucopia

For your replies.

super8rescue, what I have now is mono and what you put is stereo. thanks.
    LigH.de yes something similar is what I need. thanks
    Cornucopia, thanks for the tip, I checked both camcorders have TRS, so I need TRS cable.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  7. Many thanks hello_hello for your detailed reply.

I think I will go for this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Insignia-Aduiovox-Naviskauto-Portable/dp/B00W8FAQV8/ref=...583061&sr=8-13

One question though. Are all the cable similar to this transfer AV or some of them only transfer Audio, and if some similar cable only transfer Audio, then what is the difference between them as they look exactly the same ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sahm View Post
    Those are usually used for audio. But the wires will carry whatever signal that's put on them (some better than others).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you just post what the models of the devices are (all those in the chain), we could give you a better understanding of what's necessary and possible, and then what might be the best course of action.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. jagabo
    thanks for your reply. It was the answer I was waiting for, that wires carry whatever signal you put on them be it Video or Audio, which was my thinking from the beginning. but what confused me is that some sellers advertise their cables as Audio only while others as Audio/Video which made me think there was a difference in the wiring.

Cornucopia
    I have two camcorders both with 3.5 MiniJack port for Video and Audio Mono, not stereo. The cables that came with them and work perfect to show video on other devices is the same I showed at the beginning.
    Canon MV750i
    Sony CCD-TRV238E

I think jagabo answer clarified the issue of cabling. I just need to find a good quality one.

Many thanks once again for those who replied, really appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, I said what I said for a reason, and I think it was fitting in your case.

The Canon's av port uses a TRRS plug, as the manual clearly shows video + stereo audio (3 hot pins + ground/earth).
    The Sony's av port uses a TRS plug, as its manual shows - for that model - video + mono audio (2 hot pins + ground/earth).

I doubt you will easily find a TRRS <--> TRS cable, because there is no standard about how to wire it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Ok, I said what I said for a reason, and I think it was fitting in your case.

The Canon's av port uses a TRRS plug, as the manual clearly shows video + stereo audio (3 hot pins + ground/earth).
    The Sony's av port uses a TRS plug, as its manual shows - for that model - video + mono audio (2 hot pins + ground/earth).

I doubt you will easily find a TRRS <--> TRS cable, because there is no standard about how to wire it.

Scott

Thanks Scott for the tip. I think the only way is that I buy the cables and see what works. Thanks once again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you bought 2 rca turnarounds ( female <--> female) and an rca Y-adapter (female & female <--> male), you could connect up your canon adapter with your sony adapter. So it would be: video - video, left+right audio - mono audio.

That would cover both devices without having to rewire anything or buy really exotic (possibly rarer, more expensive) cables.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you bought 2 rca turnarounds ( female <--> female) and an rca Y-adapter (female & female <--> male), you could connect up your canon adapter with your sony adapter. So it would be: video - video, left+right audio - mono audio.

That would cover both devices without having to rewire anything or buy really exotic (possibly rarer, more expensive) cables.

Scott

Finally I went I bought the wire from Wilko for £3 as shown in image below.

[Attachment 56646 - Click to enlarge]

It is TRS and it works perfect to transmit clear Video&Audio from the Sony CCD-TRV238E to the Canon MV750i
    and from it to the laptop to capture the video as I use the Canon as a converter only.

Many thanks Scott and everyone else that replied to this thread.

Regards
    Sahm
    Quote Quote