VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm transferring some old VHS tapes to my computer and I've having issues. I've been reading around the forum for solutions for not found anything definitive yet.

I'm using a capture Capture device called a "USB AV/Scart Grabber" by DigitNow/Rybozen and I'm connecting from a VHS player to the capture device via scart.

The capture quality is ok BUT it has the footage misaligned as you can see in the image below, with the top of the image appearing at the bottom of the screen and a black border in the viewable area of the screen.

[Attachment 56236 - Click to enlarge]

Is this likely an issue with:
    -The VHS tape?
    -The VHS player
    -The capture device?

Any suggestions of how to fix this? I read someone mention some software called AVI Synth. Could that help or is the fix more simple than that?

Thanks for the help,
    Shaz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am almost sure there was a similar topic on here a short while ago with a similar resultant image. Can not find it right now.

But a few things to check.

1. Make sure that your devices drivers are properly installed.
    2. Make sure that the capture software is set for correct broadcast settings - I assume you being in the UK you would select Pal/I (a selection of NTSC could skew the picture)
    3. If this is a NTSC tape (which would play in a UK vcr) your device and software must support Pal60. I have also seen such skewing even when the device supports Pal60.

You could also upload a short sample of an actual capture for further analysis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers John.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I am almost sure there was a similar topic on here a short while ago with a similar resultant image. Can not find it right now.

But a few things to check.

1. Make sure that your devices drivers are properly installed.
    2. Make sure that the capture software is set for correct broadcast settings - I assume you being in the UK you would select Pal/I (a selection of NTSC could skew the picture)
    3. If this is a NTSC tape (which would play in a UK vcr) your device and software must support Pal60. I have also seen such skewing even when the device supports Pal60.

You could also upload a short sample of an actual capture for further analysis.
    Thanks for the offer of help

It's a home recording, PAL tape played by a VHS player that's both PAL and NTSC compatible

Capture software settings were: PAL and DVD at 720x576 res.

Here's a short section of capture. It's an old gig from my youth. I watched it using an old TV recently on the same video player I am using for capture and the video tape played back normally without misaligned sections and black borders in the middle of the screen.

The VHS player is a Toshiba "Video Plus Deluxe" V752 UK

The same capture issue happens with several other home video tapes, which all come from different camcorders (different friends/families).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsvaLn3eL0

Cheers
    Shaz
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Nice, thanks for linking me to that, I'll read through it now

Shaz
    Quote Quote