VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear all

First of all, I am a complete noob in this field. The camera belonged to my dad, who passed away back in 2005. So the tapes are pretty old and most have not left their casing for around 20 years.

For Christmas I wanted to create a little montage for my mom, but I stumbled into some problems.

I am using a Firewire and capturing with Adobe Premiere CC 2015. My PC specs are: 16gb RAM, GTX 1070, Intel i5-6600K @ 3.5Ghz. Device used to record: Sony DCR-TRV9E.

The video comes out like this [Gyazo is a tool to make screen captures]:

- Tape from 1998 (Sony MiniDV DVM30ME LP:45)

https://gyazo.com/0199dc529c7432b4da60a506f2758355

- Tape from 12/13/2020 (Sony MiniDV DVM60ME LP:90 straight out of packaging, so completely new)

https://gyazo.com/f55311fac4ddc7d4271f74489ec211a5

Both video and audio is broken.

I tried 3 old tapes and 1 new recorded tape and the result is always the same, can I therefore conclude the recording device is broken and not the tapes?

Should using a different device fix my problem, and should it be the same/a similar device? Or can this device be fixed somewhat easily (allignement, cleaning, etc.)?

If I need a different device, what are affordable options?

Sorry for my complete ignorance on the matter, I did some research already but some expert advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

ArthurS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Common miniDV problem. I'd clean the heads on the camera (properly, no qtips or cleaning tapes) and go from there. If the tapes were shot in LP mode you're gonna have even more trouble. Is the camera the same one used to record the tapes? If not, maybe hunt down the original one. Otherwise i'd be trying a different camera or deck. The Sony DSR25 and DSR45 are great.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
    Common miniDV problem. I'd clean the heads on the camera (properly, no qtips or cleaning tapes) and go from there. If the tapes were shot in LP mode you're gonna have even more trouble. Is the camera the same one used to record the tapes? If not, maybe hunt down the original one. Otherwise i'd be trying a different camera or deck. The Sony DSR25 and DSR45 are great.
    It is the same camera. After trying to import a few tapes it stopped replaying the tapes alltogether. I cleaned the head with print paper and IPA (is this what you mean by properly?). It started playing the tapes again, still distortion and no audio, but a lot better than before. However now the tapes are showing black horizontal lines. Have I used to much force on the head, or is it still dirty?

I did a quick search for the devices you mentioned and found some prices €1000 and up, which I can't afford. I'll be on the lookout for some secondhand camcorders that still playback properly.

Thanks for the reply!
    Quote Quote