VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I have 2 mp4 files that are broken or corrupted. I don't know, they're just unplayable all of a suddden.
    1 file is 122MB and the other is 176MB in size.
    I tried the method in this video but the results came back with an mp4 file of 0 byte.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3nWw9aX5kw

I can't think of any other way but to seek help here.
    Can anyone help me restore these 2 mp4 files? I provide the download links below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kDVwFpZXGoPG2VkXXIjm_7dfMwEr2f4N/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZivHRsxlkXEbb7_LjT1wg7Cw3Ip4nZXq/view?usp=sharing
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open the mp4 with a hex-editor. If there are all zeros the file is gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the yaya file is probably encrypted. the other has video but no audio and is corrupted. i don't think either is fixable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do you have a playable valid video file recorded with the same settings and the same camera as the corrupted videos? If yes, please upload it to the GDrive, so that I can use it as a sample to try to recover the corrupted files based on it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TomLes View Post
    Do you have a playable valid video file recorded with the same settings and the same camera as the corrupted videos? If yes, please upload it to the GDrive, so that I can use it as a sample to try to recover the corrupted files based on it.
    Those videos are not my recordings, they're videos I downloaded online.
    Can I upload videos that have similar quality though? Would that work?
    Thank you so much for wanting to help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
    Originally Posted by TomLes View Post
    Those videos are not my recordings, they're videos I downloaded online.
    Can I upload videos that have similar quality though? Would that work?
    Thank you so much for wanting to help!
    No. The repair method alluded to requires a working video with identical spec to reconstruct the broken video
    Quote Quote  
  7. The 122MB file doesn't have a valid MP4 header, or footer for that matter. Surprising thing is that is compresses to a 4.7MB RAR or 7Z file, meaning that it has a LOT of redundancy, despite looking like random data at first glance. A valid video file would have a very low compression ratio, since it's already highly compressed. (At best a valid 122MB MP4 file would compress to ~120MB. An encrypted file wouldn't be compressible at all.)
    And indeed, if (using WinHex) I select a short string at the beginning, and do search within that same file, I can see that the same 512 bytes segment is repeated over and over, seemingly until the end of the file. (So it could actually be compressed even further, don't know why WinRAR and 7-Zip need that much more, using pretty strong compression settings.)
    So obviously nothing can be fixed here, no idea how this could be produced.

The 177MB file on the other hand does have a valid header, and is recognized by MediaInfo, which detects a video stream (but no audio) and a 6m09 duration. It doesn't play in common media players, though (although MPCHC does recognize a 1920x1080 resolution and 25FPS framerate).
    And if I do the same as above, but select a short string near the end of the file, and search it starting from the beginning, I can see the same pattern : after the first 4096 bytes cluster which seems fine, the same 512 bytes segment (which is also the same as in the first file — checksums match) gets repeated over and over until the end of the file.
    Problem solved. Or not. Anyway, nothing to recover, period. As for an explanation, God knows how this could happen, perhaps Chuck Norris and Joe Pesci too, but since all three are pretty quick to unleash their wrath, I wouldn't dare asking if I were you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kill This Love.mp4 512 bytes repeated segment.png
Views:	129
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	56303
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 17th Dec 2020 at 16:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I hadn't paid attention to the nickname, rings a bell... Were these two files somehow retrieved from the defective HDD mentioned in this thread ? Or is it something else entirely ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    I hadn't paid attention to the nickname, rings a bell... Were these two files somehow retrieved from the defective HDD mentioned in this thread ? Or is it something else entirely ?
    Yeah these 2 files are from the HDD that I mentioned in the other thread.
    I was able to copy these 2 files onto my desktop but the files are unplayable =/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah these 2 files are from the HDD that I mentioned in the other thread.
    I was able to copy these 2 files onto my desktop but the files are unplayable =/
    How did you copy those 2 files ? Directly from the explorer, or with a recovery software, and which one ?
    Did you read my replies in that other thread ? Did you try something else since then ? I tried to get someone interested in the case over at forum.hddguru.com, but got zero feedback... é_è
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Yeah these 2 files are from the HDD that I mentioned in the other thread.
    How did you copy those 2 files ? Directly from the explorer, or with a recovery software, and which one ?
    Did you read my replies in that other thread ? Did you try something else since then ? I tried to get someone interested in the case over at forum.hddguru.com, but got zero feedback... é_è
    I just copied directly from the HDD onto my desktop as usual without using any tools/software.
    The HDD is still partially working. It takes a long time to load and when it's done loading only a portion of files can be played (all the files on the HDD are media files btw).
    Yes, I read all the replies in the other thread but it's a bit hard for me to follow.
    I did a scanning with R-Studio but the results returned with 0 files.
    I'm not confident enough to open the case myself. After opening the case, should we check the disc and see if there are scratches or it's displaced or something?
    Quote Quote