VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I have an ongoing gig, editing short (<3mins) commercial videos, and am using Premiere Pro CC

All assets (raw video, title pages, lower third graphics, music etc) are uploaded to the google cloud (I have filestream set to be 'available offline' while a project at the incomplete status), I'm then sent a job brief which triggers me to get started. When I'm finished, I render the finished video, then re-upload to the cloud in several formats (1080p, 720p etc).

Problem is, my internet up-speed is shockingly slow, at <0.5mbps. So it takes many hours to upload.

So my question is...since the PP project file is only a 'container' and contains no embedded assets, and those assets are already in the same cloud file I'm re-uploading to, is there a way I can render in the cloud, to create the final mp4's and have them output to the location I need them to be in, without having to upload each time ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, unless you are remoting into a cloud-based machine. But then you would have major issues with playability/smoothness with the timeline. Plus, the cloud isn't monolithic and there could still be some upload (crossload?) time between online workstation and storage.

No, the background is that your assets, while cloud-originated, are cached locally on your machine. As should your renders be.

You COULD do your renders piecemeal like cgi folks do, rendering still frame-by-still frame. And that can be stored in a watch folder that gets uploaded to the cloud, little by little instead of all at once. But then at some point, those frames are going to have to be combined & encoded to (compressed) video. Perhaps a cloud-based encoder? What's worse, those frames wouldn't be nearly as compressed as an mp4, so the upload would take even longer.

But all of that is doing 3 right turns to avoid making a left turn.

Upshot:
    Render locally.
    And get a better internet connection!
    Video is one of the most taxing workflows, so this is to be expected.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...Although...

Check out IPV's Curator. AWS cloud-based remote editing via proxies. Plugins for Avid Media Composer, Apple FCX, and Premiere Pro.
    They claim to work w as little as 2MBPS Wifi.
    Downside = $$$.

Also, Frame.io, possibly Blackbird, EditShare.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12th Dec 2020 at 00:34.
    Quote Quote