VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to merge 5 videos and hardcode subtitles across the merged result with one emcode. So far I have been experimenting with:
    Code:
    ffmpeg  -i xInstagram.mp4 -i xInstagram.mp4 -filter_complex "[0:v]ass=subtitles.ass[video0];[1:v]ass=subtitles1.ass[video1];[video0][video1]concat=n=2[out]" -map [out] -preset ultrafast -y final.mp4
    This allows subtitles for each separate merged file but the subtitles in subtitles1.ass must be notated as time+video0. While this may be OK for say 2 files, keeping the times aligned after 3,4 5 videos merged is difficult to say the least. I tried overlapping the ASS times as 00:00:06,000 --> 00:00:10,000 and 00:12:00,000 --> 00:12:10,000 for 2 10 minute merged videos but 12 minute sub that should have appear around 2 minutes into the second merged video does not show up.

I guess what I really need is to know if it possible at all and maybe a script using ffmpeg that I can begin altering as needed.

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the subtitles are already included in the individual video parts, you can try to join these parts with type instead of ffmpeg.
    Open a command prompt executing cmd; then insert:
    type "Full path\file1.mp4 Full path\file2.mp4 Full path\file3.mp4" > "Full path\output.mp4"
    Otherwsie merge the videos and mux the subtitle later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No subtitles are not already hardcoded. I am trying to merge 5 videos without subtitles and hardcode subtitles that would take in all the merged videos. I have 5 x 10 second videos and I want to merge them for 0-50 seconds and encode subtitles that span the 50 seconds. I can do this in 2 processes but that is extra encoding if I can do it in one. Maybe it is not possible but thought I'd ask those who have more knowledge of complex filter graphs. I almost understand them when I see an example but have trouble creating one that works. . Lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Merging isn't encoding, so there is no quality loss. The second pass (hardcoding subtitle) must be done anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes I think I understand. My goal was to have as few re-encoding as possible.

After experimenting a lot, I realized that what I was trying to do and what I explained may not have been the same. I am actually trying to find a method that Merges and adds subtitles without making an intermediate file (Merged file). That way it can be previewed before any coding or extra files are created.

I think I have found a way to do that using avisynth to decode and then join the files and then have FFMpeg encode it once to a single final file with the subtitles added or preview it by piping it to ffplay or another viewer. I am assuming Avisynth uses a decoder to view/join/cut/etc. but does not actually re-encode. I know ffmpeg will re-code the composite video when the MP4 file is created from the avisynth file but since it is part of the same operation, re-encoding and quality loss should only occur once.

Or maybe I have no idea if that is correct. LOL

I'm hoping that the logic is correct.

Thank You ProWo for your response and information.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Shouldn't you just have to change the filter order, i.e. first concat and then render the subtitles?

Something like:
    Code:
    -filter_complex "[0:v][1:v]concat=n=2[appended];[appended]ass=subtitles.ass[out]" -map [out]
    ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sneaker.. That is beautiful and I even understand it. LOL

The reason I needed this is because I have written a program that allows cutting anywhere and just Encoding from the cut point to the next key frame. For that function it works pretty well (Still work in progress) I need to encode with the same or compatible settings so the cut segments join without a hiccup at the joining point.

I have been using SRT subtitles and do not know if ass=xxx.ass will work with SRT. Its not a big thing as I can switch to ASS subtitles in my program. I also added various editing functions as well as stack and subtitles. Most of these are easily achieved during the encoding phase. Merging and the encoding took 2 steps and was very hard to preview for this reason.

I have been using below for SRT subtitles but with your excellent example I can preview the merge, alterations and and subtitles more easily:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i Joined.cvs  -t 154.939266 -vf  eq=1.00:0.00:1.00:1.0:1.00:1.00:1.00:1.0,crop=854:280:0:100,"subtitles='C\:\\Users\\Bud\\Desktop\\TrimNMerge\\TrimNMerge\\bin\\Debug\\work\\Subtitles.srt':force_style='FontName=Arial,PrimaryColour=&H00FFFFFF,BackColour=&H00000000,BorderStyle=4,Outline=1,Shadow=0,MarginV=20,Fontsize=24,Alignment=1'",scale=854:480,pad=854:480:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2,setsar=1 -x264-params ref=1:me=hex:subme=7:psy=1:mixed-refs=1:me-range=16:chroma-me=1:trellis=1:8x8dct=1:cqpfile=0:fast-pskip=1:chroma-qp-offset=-2:threads=12:lookahead-threads=10:sliced-threads=0:nr=0:interlaced=0:bluray-compat=0:constrained-intra=0:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:b-adapt=1:b-bias=0:direct=3:weightb=1:keyint=25:min-keyint=25:scenecut=40:intra-refresh=0:rc-lookahead=40:mbtree=1:crf=20.0:qcomp=0.60:qpmin=0:qpmax=69:qpstep=4 -af "adelay=0|0,apad=whole_dur=5.006"  -vcodec libx264 -crf 20 -b:v 400k -bufsize:v 400K -r 29.97 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ab 64400 -ar 48000 -max_muxing_queue_size 9999 -y "D:\PathToVideo\Subbed Joined.MP4"
    So far the change with your suggestion seems to be working well and taking less time as well.
    Thank You all for your help.
    Quote Quote