VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! Newbie here. Just registered. I am trying to convert a bunch of old ballet videos (The Nutcracker and various others) to eventually upload to YouTube so that all dancers have access. (Some dancers have never even seen video of themselves! I have videos from 1983 through 1999).

I was able to convert the VHS to DVD, and then I used the VLC program to convert the VOB files to mp4 (for upload to YouTube). The video is fine. The audio is fine in the beginning, but around 20 minutes in, the audio lags. I figured out how to adjust the audio (in VLC) so that it's in sync with the dancing, but the problem is that it adjusts the entire 90 minute file. How can I go about this? I was thinking maybe I could adjust the volume separately, but I'm not even sure where to begin. The entire ballet is split into 4 VOB files after converting from VHS to DVD, and the audio issues seem to only be with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th files. Please help! I wanted to have this completed as a surprise for all of the dancers since this is Nutcracker "season" and everyone is stuck at home with no live Nutcrackers to go see. Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I read some posts after I posted this morning, and I saw the suggestion of using Handbrake. I downloaded it and encoded the DVD to a file via Handbrake, but the audio is still only correct for the first 1/4 of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the dvd plays fine, you should rip the entire movie (not the single vob's) to your hard disk and convert the ripped full movie.
    You can do this with clever FFmpeg-GUI (for unprotected DVD only).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    If the dvd plays fine, you should rip the entire movie (not the single vob's) to your hard disk and convert the ripped full movie.
    You can do this with clever FFmpeg-GUI (for unprotected DVD only).
    Thank you, ProWo! Unfortunately the sound is out of sync on the DVD. It is definitely not out of sync on the VHS tape, so it's happening in the conversion from VHS to DVD apparently.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the video is fine (without stuttering), then you could try ripping just the audio from the VHS, as pcm (wav) uncompressed. This takes less system resources than compression. When this audio track is in sync, you can compress it as you wish and mux it to the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copy the entire DVD to your computer.....and run it through a small, free program called FixVTS.
    Read the reviews....it's a lifesaver under the right circumstances.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Image
    [Attachment 56180 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks, hech54. I will give the reviews and program a read. Do I need to copy the DVD to my computer or can I just run the DVD files themselves through the FixVTS program directly? I used a Magnavox VHS to DVD converter first, and that's where the DVD came from. It's split into files on the DVD itself. (See attached).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I say "work with a backup copy" automatically......never mess with the original. As long as there is an original available somewhere else.....go for it
    Quote Quote