VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Some help please

been having issues with VLC player to the point I now think it's total rubbish, though previously have used it for years

now over the past month or so I have been ripping in my DVDs, yet have not managed to get VLC to play them correctly once ripped

I have even tried to get VLC to play the DVD in the drive before I rip, but every time VLC has a delayed lag with the video, almost like a frame rate issue

Is it not designed to PLAY PAL DVD media silky smooth, it really really made me start dislike this crappy player.

I have wasted so much time trying to get VLC to play DVDs silky smooth and it has been impossible,

I have even changed computers to a high end HPz 640 work station xeon processors, 16ghz, NVIDIA NVS310 etc

and still if i put the DVD in the drive and try to play, its rubbish, the video does not flow silky smooth

Is this just garbage software and thus why I am wasting my time ??

I did also download and install Media Player Classic Home and this does play the DVD in the drive much better and smoother as I would have hoped VLC would have

Can anyone shine any light please and thanks in advance, or is VLC just total garbage on hi spec hardware

in trying to resolve this issues I have installed a fresh windows 10 on a new workstation

I have even changed from a Hp Z620 workstation running windows 7 64bit to a HP Z640 workstation running windows 10

still no joy

trying workout why vlc is so popular, to me its total garbage

Thanks
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 6th Dec 2020 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. As I mentioned in you other thread(s) VLC always assumes interlaced video is bottom-field-first. At least one of your samples was top-field-first. If you have the deinterlacer set to Yadif2x (deinterlace 25i to 50p) you will get very fast jerky/flickery motion with the wrong field order. You can set VLC to simple Yadif or one of the other non-bob detineraclers (25i to 25p). That won't be silky smooth but should be better than Yadif2x with the wrong field order.

VLC is not a great player. Its main benefit is it's self contained. It doesn't rely on installed readers, splitters, codecs, etc.

Another possible issue if your monitor is running at 60 fps: clean 50 fps playback won't be as smooth as on a 50 Hz monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your feed back

The strange thing is some DVDs I have ripped to (folder images) play ok in vlc relatively smooth and others play jerky as previously described like frame rate issues

even from the same TV Program DVDs, yet different series some play ok and others don't

[Attachment 56097 - Click to enlarge]

ok by default my monitor / video card always sets to 60hz, so should I set this to 50hz ?

So
    VLC always assumes interlaced video is bottom-field-first.
    so is there any way before ripping to identify what order the interlacing is

or should I be considering a better player to use for pc viewing purposes ?

So correct me if i'm wrong, this issue I am experiencing is related to my old friend again INTERLACING ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ok

I have set my video card refresh rate to 50Hz but still have the problem

here are 2 examples of the problem

VTS_01_1 is later DVD in the box set series and does not play correctly in VLC player, it's slow and jerky

yet

an earlier DVD in the TV series plays better VTS_02_1

so is there a difference on the DVDs (i.e are they interlaced differently) when converted from the original BBC tapes to DVD or is it the Rippers I have used ??

just trying to work this all out, but if it was the rippers, I would expect the DVD in the drive to play correctly ?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 56110 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 56111 - Click to enlarge]

what is strange these both seem to have the same attributes and settings ?

these images were taken in MPC-BE x64 PLAYER, which seem to be better at playing the video, than VLC does

but it would seem both videos are the same standard (interlacing etc), so why is VLC playing one better than the other >??

As I mentioned in you other thread(s) VLC always assumes interlaced video is bottom-field-first.
    so it would also look like the interlacing is not correct for VLC

so why does VLC assume interlaced video is bottom-field-first??? when it is clear there are many DVDs the other way around with interlacing

surly VLC should not assume but adjust accordingly to the interlacing format when it analyses the video / interlacing ?

I guess this just proves VLC is a Toy Town Below Average player ?

I understand it's free, but it's also very bad at playing videos

Regards
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 6th Dec 2020 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VTS_01_1.MPG contains interlaced frames encoded interlaced, top-field-first, so the video contains 50 different pictures per second. VTS_02_01 contains progressive frames encoded interlaced -- it only contains 25 different pictures per second. So the symptoms you are seeing are exactly what one would expect with VLC displaying the with the wrong field order. Since each field of the #2 video comes from the same point in time it doesn't matter which field you see first. But with the first video you must see the two fields in the correct order. Otherwise you will get a 2 steps forward, 1 step back motion with every pair of fields.

Attached are two 50p videos made from VTS_01_1.MPG. In the tff video the video is assumed to be tff and Yadif2x'd as such. The bff video is the same but assumed to be bff. The tff video should play smoothly. The bff video should be jerky and flicker a lot. It's most noticeable in the short panning shot 33 seconds into the video. Is that what you are seeing with the original video in DVD?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    thank you for your feedback and examples

when I play back bff in VLC the jerkyness is worst than the original DVD

but then tff in vlc seems smoother than the original DVD ?

so what you are saying is ...

1) even though these are part of the same tv show, when the BBC were creating these DVDs they have been captured differently from the interlacing point of view
    2) This has nothing to do with the Ripping software, this is solely down to The BBC mastering when creating the DVDs
    3) As I previous said.... Interlacing is a painful technology that just continually causes problems for people, it may have got over problems years ago, but boy what a pain in the ass today
    4) Is there anything I should be doing other than ripping to try and get over these awful interlaced problems

I'm still not really understanding this horrid interlacing technology ??

so if the BBC created one DVD with 50 pictures per second and the BBC then created another DVD with only 25 pictures per second

surly the 50 pics per sec has more detail and should look smoother

why is the BBC releasing DVDs with only 25 pics per second, these could never ever look good,

shouldn't all PAL DVDs be 50 pics per second for best viewing ?

why are there different interlaced standards, why can they all be the same,

Interlacing years ago was to try and get a smoother pictures on CRT as I understand, but what a pain in the ass it is today
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 6th Dec 2020 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1), 2), and 3), no.

4) Is there anything I should be doing...
    For starters, you could answer jagabo's question. Since no one else seems to have these problems, the more help you provide, the better.

You could also switch to using a different (and better) player. I know a lot of people like it, but I've never had any use at all for VLC player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    For starters, you could answer jagabo's question. Since no one else seems to have these problems, the more help you provide, the better.
    I think I have ?

thank you for your feedback and examples

when I play back bff in VLC the jerkyness is worst than the original DVD

but then tff in vlc seems smoother than the original DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Ok

although not perfect I have screen captured my VLC player window to give you an idea of what I am seeing, i think there is some further lag in the screen capture

but you will see one plays more smoothly than the other,

so are we saying VLC is buggy and only good for one type of interlacing,

can some one please explain in simple terms all the different facets of interlacing

1) how it works,

2) the different types of interlacing

3) why VLC is so poor at de interlacing

4) any other methods or practices I should be using to get over these interlace issues

I appreciated any help and feedback thanks in advance
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    So...

there are two type of video picture technology

1) progressive

2) interlaced

for PAL (UK)

progressive will be 50 pics per second which equals the very best quality (no interlacing, flicker free) but higher bandwidth

and interlaced is the poorest quality (most hassle and cause of issues, problems) being only 25 pic per second and either showing odd lines first or even lines first within that second

is this correct in simple terms

so the big question is why is VLC so useless at dealing with either type of interlacing ?

regards
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    So...

there are two type of video picture technology

1) progressive

2) interlaced

for PAL (UK)

progressive will be 50 pics per second which equals the very best quality (no interlacing, flicker free) but higher bandwidth

and interlaced is the poorest quality (most hassle and cause of issues, problems) being only 25 pic per second and either showing odd lines first or even lines first within that second

is this correct in simple terms
    Not exactly. PAL DVD supports 25 fps progressive and 25 fps interlaced. An interlaced DVD frame contains two half picture (720x288 each). Those half pictures are intended to be seen one at a time, sequentially, at 50 half pictures per second. On an old interlaced CRT TV that's exactly what you saw. That was considered a good compromise in its day. You got silky smooth motion, your eyes filled in some of the lost details from halving the resolution, and the flickering wasn't too bad on most material. Transmitting 50 whole pictures every second was too much bandwidth for early televisions. On modern TVs with progressive displays the frames have to be deinterlaced to produce 50 progressive frames per second -- but the player/TV must know the video is interlaced and it must know the field order (which of the two half pictures to display first). Different deinterlacers produce different results buts modern hardware is pretty decent at it.

It's hard to say much about your samples with VFR at an average ~28 fps. Both have both duplicate and missing frames. Try setting VLC to single speed Yadif (or any of the other single speed deinterlacers) or Bob (double speed, quality similar to a CRT, a bit of flicker). Any better?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much for your info

very much appreciated I will digest the info

so the end result today is to always produce 50 frames per sec ? Progressive is this correct ?

and this is either done with the 25 odd and then 25 even per sec or the other way around .... correct ?

so de interlacing produces 50 frames per sec from two lots of 25 frames either starting odd or even ?

I could also do with finding a good quality screen capture programs, so I could capture in true one to one what I am seeing in VLC

Regards
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 6th Dec 2020 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Ok this is what I am seeing in VLC and the two video captures are 60fps so should more than capture the problems in VLC player

you can see one is flowing silky and VLC seems to do a reasonable job acceptable

yet the other video in the class room, VLC is slow and jerky and horrible

you should be able to see a massive difference between the two and the way VLC is dealing with both videos

regards
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 6th Dec 2020 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    and this is either done with the 25 odd and then 25 even per sec or the other way around ....
    It's done on a frame by frame basis: even field of frame 0, odd field of frame 0, even field of frame 1, odd field of frame 1... Or starting with odd instead of even.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all

ok so.....

I have just put the DVD in the drive not used a ripper, simply just taken a small clip from the DVD folder,

as below

So if we are saying it's the order of the interlacing, that is causing this non silky smooth playback, can nothing deal with this order on a PC to replay correctly ?

Now this dvd/clip does Not play smoothly for me on my setup in VLC or some of the other software players, its jerky as previously discussed,

1) so does this cause problems for other people when they view ? are other people seeing the same as me ?
    2) is this only a problem at my end ? (video card / Monitors / etc), and everyone else can't see what I am moaning about ?
    3) to get over this interlacing issues would it be better to capture the output in real time from a DVD Player using & HQ capture card rather than rip.
    4) or are these badly mastered DVD from the BBC and there to blame for this poor quality playback ?
    5) is there any way to get over this or is this as good as it gets when ripping in DVDs?

I never though ripping in DVDs would be so problematic to simply view and enjoy the content on a PC

It's a high end work station too HP Z640 Xeon 16gigs Samsung SSD etc

not really sure why I am having these issues

any help will be very much appreciated
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 7th Dec 2020 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Try different output devices in VLC: Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output. You have to stop, then restart playback for the change to take place.

All your MPG files play smoothly for me in MPCHC, PotPlayer, SMPlayer.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2020 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    thank you for your suggestion have been through all video output settings with no joy

what I am really trying to find out is ... am I the only one with this problem ?

could it be a problem with my monitor ? dell S2817Q ?

should I be adding any codec packs to windows 10 ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    what I am really trying to find out is ... am I the only one with this problem ?
    I think so. You may not have seen it but in my previous post I added a list of three players that worked fine for me in Win10.

Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    could it be a problem with my monitor ? dell S2817Q ?
    Not likely. Unless you have the player set to change the graphics card's frame rate to match the video. Even then, the player should be putting out a 50 Hz signal which apparently is your default setup.

Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    should I be adding any codec packs to windows 10 ?
    No. VLC won't use any system installed codecs. The other advanced players have built in decoder that work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt VLC will be able to handle tff interlaced video any time soon. The bug was reported 8 years ago and there doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing it. https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7713

Even after being given code for a filter to swap filed order 7 years ago it has still not been dealt with. https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/10191

I suggest you find another player.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

I now seem to be getting mixed messages

some people saying it's only at my end / I am the only one with the problem

and other people saying it is VLC player and reading between the lines saying VLC is a pile of rubbish

I appreciate all your feedback, but this is getting confusing

How Hard with todays computers can it be to play a DVD in a PC correctly ? I ask you ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I am just wondering if the video card is the problem ??

I have a Nvidia NVS310 in this workstation,

In VLC if I turn off hardware accelerated decoding it is terrible really jerky playback

When enabled hardware accelerated it is better but not perfect by any means

So possibly a more powerful video card may sort things out ?

also VLC sometimes just freezes when clicking through the video ??? see attached file

then you will click on the same file again and it plays perfectly ??? its like there is one big lag everywhere ?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 7th Dec 2020 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I've told you several times now that VLC will not play a TFF video properly. That is a longstanding bug in VLC. But TFF video should play like the bff.mkv file I uploaded in post #6. But you say it's not as bad as that even though you are forcing Yadif2x deinterlacing. So I think there's something else going wrong on your computer too.

There may also be something wrong with your MPG files. MediaInfo says they're tff (which they are) but AviSynth (Mpeg2Source) thinks they're bff. If I step through them field by field in VLC (with yadif2x forced) each pair of fields is a duplicate and after a few dozen fields it starts getting really jerky (many duplicates and many jumps). That doesn't happen with any other MPG files including those of yours which aren't giving you problems. So I think there is something wrong with your "bad" MPG files. How did you produce them? If I remux VTS_01_1.MPG with ffmpeg I get a file that plays better -- still duplicates rather than unique fields in the wrong order, so it flickers a line a 25p video.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i VTS_01_1.MPG -c copy remux.mpg
    Try the resulting file. Any different?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    thank you for your reply and file

the file you provided still does not play silky smooth here, but starting to wonder if this is me video card causing some of the issues

ok both VTS_01_1.MPG VTS_02_1.MPG were created from the original DVD RIP folders

both box set DVDs were ripped to the hard drive

and I can confirm that the suspect DVD plays the same on the hard drive as it does if I play it from the DVD in the PC Drive Jerky

the program I used to create these two shorter clips from the DVD rips was Mpg2Cut2_B418

I simply loaded one of the VOBs from the suspect ripped DVD folder and used the markers to create as small clip and save clip

I can confirm the suspect VOB gives this info (BELOW IS THE INFO FOR THE ORGINAL DVD FOLDER RIP OF SUSPECT DVD)

General
    Complete name : E:\GrangeHill\GH S05D02\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Duration : 6 min 52 s
    Overall bit rate : 20.8 Mb/s

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings : BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=13
    Format settings, picture structure : Field
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 20.2 Mb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 4 800 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.949
    Time code of first frame : 09:59:59:06
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    Stream size : 994 MiB (97%)
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B/G
    Matrix coefficients : BT.470 System B/G

Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Stream size : 9.44 MiB (1%)
    Service kind : Complete Main

Text
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-32 (0x20)
    Format : RLE
    Format/Info : Run-length encoding

so above in the info for the VOB RIPPED DVD (the one that does not play correctly in VLC player)

below is the info from the RIPPED VOB DVD that does play ok (BELOW IS THE INFO FOR THE ORGINAL DVD FOLDER RIP OF GOOD DVD)

General
    Complete name : E:\GrangeHill\GRANGE_HILL_SERIES_7_DISC_1\VIDEO_TS \VTS_02_1.VOB
    File size : 938 MiB
    Duration : 24 min 30 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 5 349 kb/s

Video
    Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Duration : 24 min 30 s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 5 018 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 8 000 kb/s
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.484
    Time code of first frame : 09:59:59:00
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
    Stream size : 880 MiB (94%)
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    Duration : 24 min 29 s
    Bit rate : 224 kb/s
    Stream size : 39.2 MiB (4%)

so from these two files I have created clips, which I have uploaded previously

Here is the info for the bad clip

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\john\Videos\Captures\VTS_01_1.MPG
    File size : 36.1 MiB
    Duration : 59 s 296 ms
    Overall bit rate : 5 105 kb/s

Video
    Format settings : BVOP
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=13
    Format settings, picture structure : Field
    Duration : 59 s 260 ms
    Bit rate : 4 800 kb/s
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.463
    Time code of first frame : 10:05:53:14
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    Stream size : 34.0 MiB (94%)
    Matrix coefficients : BT.470 System B/G

Audio
    Duration : 59 s 296 ms
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Delay relative to video : 16 ms
    Stream size : 1.36 MiB (4%)

Text
    Duration : 51 s 880 ms
    Delay relative to video : 5 s 800 ms

here is the info for the good clip

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\john\Videos\Captures\VTS_02_1.MPG
    File size : 48.8 MiB
    Duration : 1 min 5 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 6 269 kb/s

Video
    Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 5 921 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 8 000 kb/s
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.571
    Time code of first frame : 10:01:26:09
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
    Stream size : 46.1 MiB (94%)
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    Bit rate : 224 kb/s
    Delay relative to video : -48 ms
    Stream size : 1.74 MiB (4%)

Text
    Duration : 58 s 400 ms
    Delay relative to video : 2 s 40 ms

now what strange is I have installed adobe premier tonight and inside adobe premier if I drop any of these files they all seem to play smooth, If I export and the play in VLC or any other players I have issues

But while adobe premier launches It complains about my video card drivers

1. NVIDIA has identified a bug which causes random crashes in your Adobe application and has provided a fix in driver version 451.77. This driver update is strongly recommended.
    URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/drivers-video-win-nvidia.html

Audio NVIDIA High Definition Audio v.1.3.36.6
    ---------------------------------------------------

I have tried to use the latest drivers but it still does not stop adobe error

so these issues may and only may be down to my video card

Think its time to spend £500 on a decent video card for video editing

one other thing looking at the above data from both DVD, the file info seem to be the same for both DVDs ???

So looking at the data back from MEDIAINFO on all of my video files above, it would seem they are all good, No errors, All look the same, All should play the same, etc etc
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 7th Dec 2020 at 17:02.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    There may also be something wrong with your MPG files. MediaInfo says they're tff (which they are) but AviSynth (Mpeg2Source) thinks they're bff. If I step through them field by field in VLC (with yadif2x forced) each pair of fields is a duplicate and after a few dozen fields it starts getting really jerky (many duplicates and many jumps).

how are you doing this ???

is this frame by frame ..... Key 'E' in VLC

that you are seeing duplicate

or is there another key to step field by field

thanks, just trying to duplicate what you are seeing
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes, using the E key. When VLC is deinterlacing with Yadif2x it steps through field by field, not frame by frame.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you

in doing frame by frame pressing 'E' on the clips and then trying to play the clip in VLC player I can crash VLC player !! to the point I need to launch task manager close VLC and then relaunch VLC

I'm wondering if it the Video / Drivers that are causing these issues ???

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  28. The problem might be the video drivers. But you don't need a $500 graphics card for smooth video playback. I'm using onboard graphics on my i9 9900K.

I disabled hardware video decoding in VLC (Tools -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Hardware accelerated decoding) and was able to step through field by field without the duplicates in the bad files. So it's working as it should now. The field order is correct too.

I just tried on a 9 year old i5 2500K with onboard graphics and the video was fine there too. I had to disable hardware playback there too.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2020 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    thank you for the feedback

I can confirm if I disable Hardware in VLC it worst than leaving it on !

so it may be tied up with drivers / card

I just googled to see what the best video cards are for video editing and the results and costs are eye watering !!! what is going out there with VIDEO CARDS and Nvidia

GOLD is CHEAPER than NVIDIA microchips, what has the world come to where NVIDIA Graphic Cards cost more than your House !

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/buying-guides/the-best-graphics-cards-for-video-editing

https://www.ebuyer.com/1121305-zotac-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-trinity-ampere-graph...iABEgKbOPD_BwE
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 7th Dec 2020 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote