VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have had v2004 sitting there asking me if I want it, up to now I have ignored it and just taken the regular updates.

To my surprise yesterday, while scanning cine film, I heard the fan kick in, so I did a ctrl alt delete to have a look.

Well blow me, there was windows 10 merrily updating itself with v2004 without me asking for it.

I did a google and it seems I am not alone.

I did stop it for the time being, how dare microsoft just decide to use up my processing power while I am busy working.

I have today let it install, it will happen sooner or later...

Has this happened to you? thoughts?

I don't think it brings me anything I want, I like my windows 10 how it is....
    Quote Quote  
  2. A number of the "critical updates" for older version of Win10 were in fact for MS to be able to force a major update whether you wanted it or not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from disconnecting a computer from the Internet, there are supposed to be ways to prevent Windows 10 updates. (See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10) However, unless someone makes an effort to prevent updates from being downloaded, what you describe is the way Windows 10 updates are supposed to work.

I have Windows 10 Professional, which allows me to delay the installation of feature updates and quality updates for months, but eventually, the updates that I delay will be installed automatically. There are no similar settings to delay updates provided for Windows 10 Home.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Image
    [Attachment 56078 - Click to enlarge]
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are no similar settings to delay updates provided for Windows 10 Home.
    I will correct you there.
    I have Home
    I am able to suspend updates for 7 days or more in the update app.
    You can see here I have just clicked to not update until Jan 2021
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you really have to, the old but still updated lists program peerblock 1.2 with the default lists it comes with, when enabled blocks the connection to the MS updates. Peerblock is an ip blocker mostly at the time to help protect people using torrents or other odd (and potential malicious) connections trying to connect to your pc one way or another.

I have Win 10 pro, but if I do have to check updates I have to disable this or MS says the connection failed. So if you really need to block MS updates this free program is worth a try
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    [Attachment 56078 - Click to enlarge]
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are no similar settings to delay updates provided for Windows 10 Home.
    I will correct you there.
    I have Home
    I am able to suspend updates for 7 days or more in the update app.
    You can see here I have just clicked to not update until Jan 2021
    ...but can you delay updates for up to 1 year? I can.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may be able to block updates, but do you really want to? there have been several w10 zero day exploits that need NO user interaction to install.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote