VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have read a number of topics related to ffmpeg and no such file or directory and still cannot figure out why this is happening

I am trying to extract individual frames from an MKV using the following command C:\Users\me\Desktop\Original\ffmpeg -i video.mkv video%04d.png -hide_banner

If I use C:\Users\me\Desktop\Original\ffmpeg, ffmpeg fires up within cmd prompt
    If I use C:\Users\me\Desktop\Original\video.mkv; the mkv will player in media player

However when I try to get ffmpeg to start splitting the mkv, I get file not recognised

I have the 64bit version of ffmpeg installed, I have added ffmpeg to environmental variable path and used ffmpeg -codecs in cmd but still the same issue
    I've also used italics around the file name to no avail

I have no idea why/where I am going wrong. It used to work on my last pc without fault which was much more dated

Any solutions much appreciated

Brad
    Quote Quote  
  2. open an command window (cmd)
    Enter g.e. ffmpeg -ss 01:44 -i "D:\videos\yourvideo.mkv" -t 00:04 "D:\Images\yourvideo_%03d.png"
    This extracts all images of the video from 01:44 for a duration of 4 seconds as png files.
    (D:\videos is the path to your video file, D:\Images is the path to the generated images; this path must exist. Adapt both paths to your situation).

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:09 -i "inputvideo" -vframes 1 output.jpg
    This will extract 1 frame from inputvideo at 9 seconds.
    Last edited by ProWo; 5th Dec 2020 at 06:50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Specify the full path to the input file. If there are spaces anywhere in the path use quotes around the path.

Code:
    C:\Users\me\Desktop\Original\ffmpeg -i "c:\full path\to\video.mkv" video%04d.png -hide_banner
    The default folder when you start a CLI is c:\users\username, where username is your account name. That's where the output files will be if you don't specify an output path.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Specify the full path to the input file. If there are spaces anywhere in the path use quotes around the path.

Code:
    C:\Users\me\Desktop\Original\ffmpeg -i "c:\full path\to\video.mkv" video%04d.png -hide_banner
    The default folder when you start a CLI is c:\users\username, where username is your account name. That's where the output files will be if you don't specify an output path.
    Awesome, worked a treat, thanks very much indeed
    Quote Quote