VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I am ripping many TV series DVDs all suffer from that terrible technology that someone way back thought and designed called interlacing, it is truly dreadful on today's technology! Oh those phosphor CRTs Tubes !

Other than spending hours after a 1:1 rip, re-encoding with de interlace options taking even more hours,

what is the best media hardware player that can play interlaced rip of DVDs correctly without artifacts showing

is there such a item ??

Its seem to me no one can design a media player to tick all the boxes and play everything perfectly ?

will the new ziddo / dune / zappti etc, play media back withou showing the combing artifac of interlacing

this was a terrible technology method when showing on todays modern equipment

would rather just rip my DVDs and use the best media player out there that can deal with the best de interlacing

any help will be much appreciated
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 29th Nov 2020 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ISO images or VIDEO_TS folders?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

Thanks for the reply

It can be either as I have ripped to folder but can easily make them iso

Just really looking for the best de interlace playback

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    I am ripping many TV series DVDs all suffer from that terrible technology that someone way back thought and designed called interlacing, it is truly dreadful on today's technology!
    this was a terrible technology method when showing on todays modern equipment
    That's a pretty daft statement. So I'll just assume you're taking the piss.

what is the best media hardware player that can play interlaced rip of DVDs correctly without artifacts showing
    I play ISOs with my WDTV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I have been living under a stone for some years.

But I really thought that 'modern equipment' actually de-interlaced interlaced sources for display. If you get interlacing artefacts I humbly suggest you have not set up your player/tv correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

Thanks for your replies

That's a pretty daft statement. So I'll just assume you're taking the piss.
    No i'm .... deadly serious!! I hate seeing interlaced crappy images

it's previous technology that just causes grief and hassle today... The inadequacies of CRTs is the only reason it was used, ok then, but a real pain now.

though I understand it's better to keep the original rip interlaced in its original format (interlaced), It still needs good de interlacing to trying and hide it / all the artifacts

VLC does ok

but I have an older dune media player from about 2012 that shows the interlaced artifacts when playing ripped DVDs, so they look crap

thus looking to replace and hope to find a new media player that can de interlaced well

I have also gone through the menu of my sony TV and can not find any options about de interlacing

so guess I need to rely solely on the media player to deal with this pain in the ass called interlacing !!

also having the same pain in the ass issues with vhs tapes I have ripped in with my AJA video capture Card

I hate interlaced images,.,,,,,,

so back to my original question, can someone please tell me what is the best media player to play and de interlace interlaced content

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 29th Nov 2020 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My old Raspberry Pi 3B with Kodi plays VIDEO_TS folders with good deinterlacing. If you were to consider an RPi you should get the model 4 at this point in time (faster, hardware h.265 decoding, 4K@60p output). Kodi on my cheap (uncertified) Google TV device plays VIDEO_TS folders but its deinterlacing wasn't as good as the RPi -- more buzzing/aliased edges.

You might want to check out the latest ChromeCast with Google TV (US$50). It can run Kodi, access Windows network (SMB) shares, an external USB drive etc. Apparently it performs very well but I don't know how good its deinterlacing is. The one big problem it has is it only has a single USB port and it's used to power the device. You have to use an external powered USB hub to get power and access an USB drive. See the reviews on youtube.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Nov 2020 at 20:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi thanks for the reply and info

I was considering either another dune or zidoo 1000Pro or the new Zidoo X player when it released

or anything else in the pro range, just trying to find out what de interlaces the best as I have lots of tv ripped content

thanks for your info

appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  9. None of the OP's post makes any sense. Every modern TV set deinterlaces, and they all do a great job.

If you are seeing deinterlacing artifacts, then you are doing something in a very non-standard way.I have never once, in the ten years I've had my Samsung LCD, seen even one deinterlace artifact despite playing from a laserdisc player, VCR, computer, DVD player, XBox, thumb drive, and pretty much every other source you can name.

I think you need to describe how the DVD rips are being played (what equipment, and how is it hooked up) in order to get better help with your problem.

And, BTW, deinterlacing is a brilliant solution to a basic engineering problem and was so good that even when the modern HD specification was formalized almost a quarter century ago, interlacing was included in the spec (1080i). Even today, the same engineering problems are what have kept widespread adoption of 4K (not enough storage space/bandwidth/processing power).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few examples recently of interlaced rips in mp4/mkv marked as progressive.
    Does the TV /media player still de-interlace? I don't think so.

Commercial disks being ripped without removing the copy protection?

But it's all a guess as there is not enough detail, no sample or mediainfo report
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    None of the OP's post makes any sense. Every modern TV set deinterlaces, and they all do a great job.
    I couldn't agree more. I suspect he did more to them besides just "rip". Also, he seems to want to be able to play them on more than just a DVD player. But even media players have deinterlacers.

Just really looking for the best de interlace playback
    It's called a DVD player. Don't you use one to play your DVDs? If so, do they show the interlacing of your 'rips'? Could you provide a short 10-second sample of one of these 'rips' that doesn't play correctly in the players with which you're testing?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys

I am doing a 1:1 rip to audio and video folder of the DVDs

I am using dvdfab and any dvd

Not doing anything to the quality etc it’s a true lossless rip of the dvd

The idea is to STOP using my DVD player and purchase a high quality
    Media player

I already own a dune media player but it’s about 10 years old

So know they have moved on

But also have a Sony lcd 42 inch about 10 years old and that does not deal with interlacing well
    Nor does my 55inch Samsung of about 5years ago

So let’s forget the TVs trying to sort out the interlacing
    does today’s media players deinterlace and

Sort out these awful dam interlaced artifacts

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys

I am doing a 1:1 rip to audio and video folder of the DVDs

I am using dvdfab and any dvd

Not doing anything to the quality etc it’s a true lossless rip of the dvd

The idea is to STOP using my DVD player and purchase a high quality
    Media player

I already own a dune media player but it’s about 10 years old

So know they have moved on

But also have a Sony lcd 42 inch about 10 years old and that does not deal with interlacing well
    Nor does my 55inch Samsung of about 5years ago

So let’s forget the TVs trying to sort out the interlacing
    does today’s media players deinterlace and

Sort out these awful dam interlaced artifacts

Regards
    Are you trying to convert you 1:1 rip into an mp4/mkv?
    Something like Vidcoder/Handbrake does "decomb" on the fly, not a bad result for somebody who
    doesn't know what they're doing.

Why don't you post a short clip of one of your encoded files to this thread
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for your feedback

Hi yes ok I can post a sample

a while back I was trying to convert rips to MP4 using avisynth and some super deinterlace plugin and script.

but... I don't want to do this, I want to play the original RIP in pristine quality, I should be able to do this surly ?

I don’t really want to re encode any of the DVD rips
    Would like to leave them native not mp4

And hopefully choose the right media player to do the de interlacing

That’s really what I am trying to achieve

So the interlaced dvd rips look great from the output of the media player
    The same de interlaced quality as someone suggested from a DVD player, but don’t want to use a DVD player
    Want to use a media player but have the same quality playback as if it was on a DVD player

Don’t want to rip the dvds and then re-encode each one to get rid of the interlaced artifacts

as this seems a pointless exercise

What a real pain in the ass this interlacing is......

Regards
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 30th Nov 2020 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    manono
    I couldn't agree more. I suspect he did more to them besides just "rip". Also, he seems to want to be able to play them on more than just a DVD player. But even media players have deinterlacers.

Wrong..... did not do anything to the rip...

possibly, my problem is the old dune media player that does not do de interlacing very well !

thus why I am asking the question ... what is the best Quality media player for perfect de interlacing results ??
    or are they all the same ???

I am looking to purchase a media player to get over the poor playback on my older dune

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  16. Until you provide a clip that has NOT been re-encoded (i.e., it must be a lossless cut from the VOB file) I don't think we can tell what is going on.

You also need to describe exactly how these VOB files are being played. Reading between your lines, it sounds like you are using a media player on a computer to play the IFO/VOB titles from your DVD rip, and you have the computer connected to the TV set.

If that is correct, what connection are you using between the computer and the TV set? Composite? Component? HDMI? VGA? This will help determine whether you need to do deinterlacing in the media player (which I would not recommend) or whether the TV set can do it. It would be best to let the TV set handle it because that deinterlacing is handled by hardware & software that is specific to the display. Also, you do not have to remember to turn it on or off, nor do you have to configure it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    You also need to describe exactly how these VOB files are being played. Reading between your lines, it sounds like you are using a media player on a computer to play the IFO/VOB titles from your DVD rip, and you have the computer connected to the TV set.
    Ok so ...

1) I rip the DVD, Lossless
    2) the aim eventually is to store this image along with hundreds of other lossless dvds / blu ray images on a large 14TB drive in my NAS for use with the media player.
    3) but while ripping I also test / view the RIP using VLC and can see the difference between interlacing enabled / off in VLC

just trying to find the best media player out there to get the very best reproduction from older interlaced poor quality DVDs

My current dune media play connects to the TV via HDMI, but as I said earlier, the dune was purchased back in 2010 ish so the newer pro media players like zappti and zidoo have now moved on a graet deal, even the later dune media player and much more advanced than the one I have.

here is a sample of a 1:1 rip from a DVD with horrid interlacing

regards
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 30th Nov 2020 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
  18. A software DVD player (in a standalone media player) that doesn't deinterlace would be the exception. Except when the player is set up to output 480i or 576i when playing such material. In that case the TV would do the deinterlacing.

By the way, the RPi and GoogleTV devices I mentioned earlier were connected to their respective TVs with HDMI at 1080p60. So the players were doing the deinterlacing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Nov 2020 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something odd about the source file, doesn't play properly in VLC.
    Try this file, indexed in DGindex and re-encoded
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    yes agree there is something strange about this file

I used a program called avidemux to strip it from the DVD image, but don't think it worked very well

try this, but no audio ?? not sure why

just trying to find a good little proggy to allow me to strip a small clip from the DVD ripped image without encoding

regards
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    try this file
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best way to take a clip from VOB is DGindex. Use the [ and ] to set your clip.
    file/save project and demux video (and it will create an m2v file)

The second file looks OK, VLC, mpc-be and my TV (played via DLNA) plays it properly, no sign of any combing
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    thanks

here is the file using DGindex

again slow when you turn off interlacing in VLC

again no audio too ???
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. DGIndex saves the audio as a separate file. The m2v file is normal interlaced TFF PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yes, normal, so not what I was suspecting as the reason he has deinterlace problems.

And MPC-HC deinterlaces it well enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The original clip played ok for me. I would not describe the interlacing as 'horrid' but normal. With de-interlace invoked it also played fine.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The VOB played fine for me using VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

thanks for your help

so several questions please

1) for the best quality playback, of these old TV interlaced DVD rips on modern media players / TVs

am I better off re encoding the whole DVD dealing with interlacing etc like in AVISYNTH

or should I just simply leave as is, and rely on the media player hardware to deal with playback / interlacing from the original files from ripped dvd ?

2) is there any good software that can cut/crop sections from my DVD rips but without re encoding, so the quality is the same as the original DVD rip, but I just kept the video content between the A/B markers and discard of the rest

similar to DGindex but that can export video and sound in one video file

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  29. Don't re-encode. It is a total waste of time. What do you expect to gain? Re-encoding always degrades the video, and that degradation is permanent.

This advice is especially true in this case because there is nothing wrong with your video.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 1st Dec 2020 at 18:29. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the reply

so you are saying keep the original 1:1 DVD Rip folder and the media player should be able to deal with the files and de-interlacing and give the very best quality playback

I't just my older dune media player that I am looking to replace does not play the DVD rip that well, it's ok back but not great.

I'm sure newer media player chipsets are much better.

also is there any good programs to crop a full dvd in to smaller sections with out and re-encoding and quality loss

thanks
    Quote Quote