VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I downloaded a video from ok.ru and it plays fine on VLC as long as I dont turn on a subtitles file (any) because otherwise it just keeps loading and it wont start playing.
    Why is that and how can I fix it?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Help please????
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe the format of the subtitles isn't supported by VLC or they have an error.
    Try in another player such as mpc-hc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what are the subtitles encoded as ?? are they encoded as UTF-8.
    do you have another player you can try ? more info here - https://www.quora.com/Why-are-subtitles-not-working-on-VLC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi,
    Have you solved the problem? because I'm interested to know how to fix it (it's not only with vlc)
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Toshiko View Post
    Hi,
    Have you solved the problem? because I'm interested to know how to fix it (it's not only with vlc)
    thanks
    What do you download the video with?
    Post a link to an actual video with subtitles so we can check for ourselves how it stops playing when we turn on the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Hi,

I downloaded a video from ok.ru and it plays fine on VLC as long as I dont turn on a subtitles file (any) because otherwise it just keeps loading and it wont start playing.
    Why is that and how can I fix it?

Thank you.
    You could try to remux it only with mkvtoolnix or clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Toshiko View Post
    I can't speak to this exact problem, but if you used yt-dlp to download from there, it selects the mpd format which has, in my experience, always produced videos that can't be seeked in properly without fail. If you're downloading from there with yt-dlp, try "best[format_id^=hls-]" as your format selector.
    Quote Quote