VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know there are other threads and discussions on the forum regarding frame rate, but I’m not sure where this one should go, so I’ll just post it here.

So the other night, there’s this band that live-streamed a concert on their website, and I got to watch it. I wanted to find a way to keep the video, but there wasn’t a way to download it. Thankfully, I was able to come up with a workaround to this, so I just replayed the stream and screen-captured the whole thing. This method proved successful, but once the video was finished and I saved it to the computer, I ran into a little dilemma. When I went back and checked it, I noticed that the playback was kinda choppy, so I looked at the video’s properties and found what the problem was. The FPS was just 15. This screen recorder I had been using must have done that because the original stream from the band’s website was perfectly normal.

So, what is like to know is this. Is there any possible way, like maybe with a website or program / software of some sort, for me to speed up the frame rate of the video so it’ll play more smoothly? I can’t say for sure what the exact frame speed of the original livestream was, but I’m assuming it was probably around 24 or 29.97 FPS, or something like that. I’m glad I was able to find a way to save the concert so I can enjoy it later, but the fact that it got knocked down to a lagging frame rate is really disappointing. The thing is, I’m actually planning on burning this show to a DVD, so I certainly don’t want it looking like this. And the livestream is only a limited-time thing; it’s scheduled to be shut down later tonight, so I won’t have time to record it again; I’ll have to make do with the one I have, and I’m really hoping I can fix this issue.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by The Pills In Me; 22nd Nov 2020 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is relatively straight-forward to resample (not change) the framerate of the recorded video. But I doubt if that will help you. You probably attempted a full-screen record and your system was not up to the purpose. And, of course, a capture at the same rate as the broadcast will also help.

For future reference, if it is too late this time, explore the possibility of an actual capture of the stream rather than the screen.

There are countless threads here on how you go about this but you can even start now by providing the link to the website.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It is relatively straight-forward to resample (not change) the framerate of the recorded video. But I doubt if that will help you. You probably attempted a full-screen record and your system was not up to the purpose. And, of course, a capture at the same rate as the broadcast will also help.

For future reference, if it is too late this time, explore the possibility of an actual capture of the stream rather than the screen.

There are countless threads here on how you go about this but you can even start now by providing the link to the website.
    What do you mean by a capture of the stream rather than the screen? Also, I could provide the link to the website but it won’t work. This livestream concert is available only to fans who bought tickets and have access to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Fairy Nuff. The forum rules exclude discussion of streams that are paid for.

But that does not exclude you from reading the threads - there is a sub-forum dedicated to that:-

https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/48-Video-Streaming-Downloading
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

But that does not exclude you from reading the threads - there is a sub-forum dedicated to that:-

Oh snap....I was not aware of that rule. My apologies.

However, I do have another question. How can I resample the frame rate? And what’s the difference between resampling it and changing it? I know you said it probably won’t help me, but I’m curious nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Pills In Me View Post

However, I do have another question. How can I resample the frame rate? And what’s the difference between resampling it and changing it? I know you said it probably won’t help me, but I’m curious nonetheless.
    Can you post a 15 second sample, something that shows some movement
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Can you post a 15 second sample, something that shows some movement
    Sure, here's a clip. As you might notice, this 15fps video doesn't play as smoothly as a video with a framerate of 24 or 29.97 (at least that's my opinion). It's not a huge difference, but it's still a little too choppy for my liking. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Not sure why this is showing up as a download link rather than just the video to watch.......
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by The Pills In Me; 22nd Nov 2020 at 21:33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I show it to be 30fps but with every other frame a duplicate. Those dupe frames can be interpolated using the AviSynth filter FillDrops or similar but will leave artifacts sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just played your sample. The result was certainly not as I expected from your own analysis. In fact, for me atleast, playback was quite smooth and I do not have a 'fast' system. So maybe that is your issue. But do try vlc for playback to see if it makes any difference.

You can use avidemux with the transform >> resample filter. Any filter also requires a re-encode so that could result in a loss of quality.

But my first suggestion is to attempt to create a dvd since that is your main purpose. Use avstodvd and that will automatically set the correct frame rate. If indeed it is 15 fps or 30 fps as my friend above states which will not require much change.

Edit:

Mediainfo does indeed report 30fps. Your issue could be the codec used so do try vlc and the dvd options first since a resample is not apparently required.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just played your sample. The result was certainly not as I expected from your own analysis. In fact, for me atleast, playback was quite smooth and I do not have a 'fast' system. So maybe that is your issue. But do try vlc for playback to see if it makes any difference.

You can use avidemux with the transform >> resample filter. Any filter also requires a re-encode so that could result in a loss of quality.

But my first suggestion is to attempt to create a dvd since that is your main purpose. Use avstodvd and that will automatically set the correct frame rate. If indeed it is 15 fps or 30 fps as my friend above states which will not require much change.

Edit:

Mediainfo does indeed report 30fps. Your issue could be the codec used so do try vlc and the dvd options first since a resample is not apparently required.
    Is AVStoDVD necessary to fix this? Although I am planning to create a DVD, I was actually going to use DVD LAB PRO to make it. I wanted this project to be a little more on the advanced side, if that makes any sense - with the menus, authoring, etc....plus, there's actually some bonus materials I plan on including as well.

And how can VLC do anything about this?
    Last edited by The Pills In Me; 23rd Nov 2020 at 18:06.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by The Pills In Me View Post
    Is AVStoDVD necessary to fix this?
    I already mentioned an AviSynth filter to do the job of making it less jerky-playing. An AviSynth script using that filter can then be encoded as DVD video. Of course, NTSC DVDs also require 720x480 resolution and 29.97 fps so other things will have to be done to create that DVD video. And there are restrictions on the audio as well. But nothing prevents you from using the authoring and menu creation program of your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Is AVStoDVD necessary to fix this?
    I already mentioned an AviSynth filter to do the job of making it less jerky-playing. An AviSynth script using that filter can then be encoded as DVD video. Of course, NTSCDVDs also require 720x480 resolution and 29.97 fps so other things will have to be done to create that DVD video. And there are restrictions on the audio as well. But nothing prevents you from using the authoring and menu creation program of your choice.
    I've actually made a number of attempts to install the AviSynth software, and it never works. My computer downloads the .exe file, but after I go through the setup wizard, the program doesn't launch. Nothing happens.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth doesn't have a GUI; it's runs in the background whenever an Avisynth script is opened in
    a host program such as AvsPmod or Virtualdub2
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth doesn't have a GUI; it's runs in the background whenever an Avisynth script is opened in
    Oh....I did not know that.

As you can probably tell, I'm not well-versed in any of the stuff that's discussed on this forum....AT ALL. I'm certainly no expert; I'm anything but that. Video editing, DVD creation, and software are just things that I dabble in from time to time, simply for fun. Apart from that, I might as well be known as the VideoHelp Forum idiot who annoys everyone else with dumb questions.
    Last edited by The Pills In Me; 23rd Nov 2020 at 18:58.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh....I did not know that.

As you can probably tell, I'm not well-versed in any of the stuff that's discussed on this forum....AT ALL. I'm certainly no expert; I'm anything but that. Video editing, DVD creation, and software are just things that I dabble in from time to time, simply for fun. Apart from that, I might as well be known as the VideoHelp Forum idiot who annoys everyone else with dumb questions.
    This is one possibility, using the external plugin framerateconverer (put the .avsi and .dll file in the Avisynth plugins directory)
    This script increases the frame rate to 29.97. The included readme has info about other operands to fine tune your results

https://github.com/mysteryx93/FrameRateConverter/releases/tag/v1.3
    Code:
    lwlibavvideosource("C:\Users\davex\Downloads\demon hunter.mp4")
    changefps(15)
    #spline36resize(640,360) < commented out,used for testing
    framerateconverter(newnum=30000,newden=1001)
    and this for the Lsmash/LWLibAV source filters:
    https://github.com/HolyWu/L-SMASH-Works/releases/

This result is not perfect but somewhere to start.
    More info:
    https://macilatthefront.blogspot.com/2019/02/motion-interpolation-plugins-in.html
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Edit:

Is AVStoDVD necessary to fix this? Although I am planning to create a DVD, I was actually going to use DVD LAB PRO to make it. I wanted this project to be a little more on the advanced side, if that makes any sense - with the menus, authoring, etc....plus, there's actually some bonus materials I plan on including as well.

And how can VLC do anything about this?

I have used DVD Lab Pro in the far distant past and it is a very good program for dvd authoring.

Just one little problem for you IIRC. It does NOT cross-encode. So you must feed dvd-compliant mpeg2 either as muxed or separate video and audio streams. And neither will it accept HD material.

So you can use avstodvd and simply output the required compliant mpeg2 file and feed that in to DVD Lab Pro.

VLC can convert but I do not suggest you use it for this. avstodvd also makes use of avisynth which can be edited as you wish but should not be necessary. Try it first and see if playback in vlc improves.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Try the DAIN app, which you can download here :

https://grisk.itch.io/dain-app

It is processor intensive but the results are stunning.

If you don't have an NVidia card, do this :

Download and install VirtualDub (it doesn't have an installer, you have to manually create the program directory and shortcuts)
    Download and install AviSynth
    Download the MSU Interpolation filter and drop the DLL file in AviSynth's "plugins" directory
    In the same directory as your video file, create the following text file and save it with the same name as your video file but with the extension "avs" :

AviSource("nameofyourfile.avi")
    ConvertToYV12().MSU_FRC(2, "slow")

The "2" is the multiple by which you want the frame rate increased by generating interpolated frames.

Drop this file in VirtualDub and it should open your video. Select your preferred video and audio compression, then save. It will save your video as an AVI file. If you want to convert it to an MP4, use HandBrake.

If your source file is an MP4, you'll need this :

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286901-VirtualDub-Now-Has-a-Directshow-Driver-Plugin
    Quote Quote