VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good day everyone

I would like to know using more threads does effect the quality & of course without VBV?

like if I sued this commands

x264 --crf 17 --threads 6
    x264 --crf 17 --threads 14

Thanx
    Last edited by alkoon; 21st Nov 2020 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. More threads adversely affects quality and compression ratio, but it's mostly negligible for threads 6 vs 14 at crf 17 .

It's measurable in metrics, and the filesize will be slightly different so you 'd have to so serial tests at 17.x until the bitrates match, but at high CRF , low bitrate ranges high amount of threads can become more important and noticable

VBV also adversely affects quality and compression ratio, and CRF+VBV sometimes has bizarre artifacts, not recommended
    Quote Quote  
  3. CRF+VBV sometimes has bizarre artifacts, not recommended
    Can you elaborate on that ? I haven't had issues with crf and vbv for years,... (at least no issues I could spot; no unexpected artifacts or vbv violations,..)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    CRF+VBV sometimes has bizarre artifacts, not recommended
    Can you elaborate on that ? I haven't had issues with crf and vbv for years,... (at least no issues I could spot; no unexpected artifacts or vbv violations,..)
    It occurs usually around scene changes, the quality of the affected frame is usually dramatically lower or noticably different than other frames
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for this information
    Actually I'm surprised that with more threads I got more bitrate and more size!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    No surprise. More threads means that the frame content is split into smaller pieces, and each thread "sees" less video content to compare with and to find similarities useful to spare size. The result will have more intra blocks it could not find a smaller substitution for.

It is not recommended to use more threads than the encoder heuristic calculates. More threads will only provide a small amount of speed-up due to saturation in the multi-threading management, but the encoding will be less efficient per thread.
    Quote Quote