VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to make a video to upload to YouTube that will display in a 1920x1080 format. I have ten images that I want to sequence with music, but each program that I have found that allows me to put these together results in a wide screen with my 1920x1080 images within.

This is an area where I have little to no knowledge, so I am hoping that someone can let me know how this can be done. If I can find simple software that can do this then I will be golden, but so far I have had no success finding it.

Thanks -

george
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want the wide landscape frame filled with picture you need to zoom in on the portrait oriented images.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, I don't want that. I want the 1920x1080 format. For instance, if I make a video with my camera in portrait mode and upload it to YouTube, when I watch it in portrait mode I can fill the screen with the video.

All of my images are 1920x1080 but when I use any slideshow software to create a video, seemingly regardless of the settings, the result is a series of vertical images within a landscape format. I need the final results to be in a vertical format. Surely there must be someone who has been able to do this (at least, I would think so).

Thanks -

george
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is just how to you hold the camera. And is the camera a normal camera or one on a phone.

This is simple maths. Even if you camera or more specifically a phone supports 1920*1080, hold it vertically or to be more specific the width is shorter than the length you can not fill the frame hence the borders you see.

Now if you have a normal camera that records with the frame width longer than the length the result will have no borders.

No need to believe me. Go to ANY site facebook, instagram etc and look at the 'selfies'. Depending on the player the image width is shorter than the length. Playback that video in a player that defaults to width wider than height and you get the borders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    All of my images are 1920x1080 but when I use any slideshow software to create a video, seemingly regardless of the settings, the result is a series of vertical images within a landscape format. I need the final results to be in a vertical format.
    So you have portrait mode images that are 1080x1920 (it's customary to list width x height) and you want a final video that's also 1080x1920? Can't you just set the software you're using to produce 1080x1920 rather than 1920x1080? But when you play that video on your 1920x1080 monitor you will still get a pillarboxed picture (unless you run your monitor in portrait mode).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, that is correct, I have images that are 1080x1920 and I want a final video that is also 1080x1920. I have not been able to find any software that will give me those final results. I have tried Movie Maker, ProShow Producer, MiniTool MovieMaker, and probably five or six others, and each one wants to place my vertical images within landscape mode, regardless of the settings.

The idea is to have a video made of these images that, when I upload to YouTube, will result in one seeing the video full screen when they hold their phones vertically (at least, as much as possible, as the aspect ratio for different phones may not be exactly the same).

Thanks -

george
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    Yes, that is correct, I have images that are 1080x1920 and I want a final video that is also 1080x1920. I have not been able to find any software that will give me those final results. I have tried Movie Maker, ProShow Producer, MiniTool MovieMaker, and probably five or six others, and each one wants to place my vertical images within landscape mode, regardless of the settings.
    Surely one of those program will let you specify the width and height of the video you want to produce. All you have to do is set it to 1080 wide and 1920 tall. Every video editor I've ever used lets you specify the frame size manually. You might have to use a custom template.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But will youtube even accept a video with 1920 vertical pixels ? If it does not it will resize it regardless and probably back to 1080. They normally shrink their playback window to fit but if they do not in this case you are back to what you have right now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. True vertical 1080p (1080x1920) will likely be supported eventually by the main online platforms.

But uploading as 1920x1080 and (auto-)rotating on the playback device is more common currently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. "Surely one of those program will let you specify the width and height of the video you want to produce."

That is what I would think. However, even specifying the output values ends up resulting in things being forced into some sort of landscape format.

"But will youtube even accept a video with 1920 vertical pixels ?"

I can make a short video with my phone and upload it to YouTube and it acts the way I would expect. I have a Google Pixel 5 with a screen resolution of 2,340 x 1,080 and a 12.2 MP camera, so I am guessing that the test video that I tried was at least 1080x1920. Even so, if YouTube were to resize down then that would be fine with me, as the information in the images I wish to show can handle downsizing and compression. It's getting the vertical aspect to hold up that is my real problem.

Thanks -

george
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have uploaded a sample, there is no need to 'guess' what yt has done with it.

Just download it and check.

Or just provide the link and others can check if you have issues with the download process.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Most decent video editors have options to export different resolutions, aspect ratios. You usually have to set up the project settings, timeline settings ,and export settings correctly. Maybe the ones you tried were junk, or you didn't set them up correctly

You can use a free one like shotcut to export 1080x1920. Set the video mode to 1080x1920 , and export settings to the same
    Quote Quote  
  13. You might want to upscale the video, youtube seems to only provide a lower resolution when you upload a 9:16 AR format such as 1080x1920

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/29004771?hl=en

I just did a quick test and a 1080x1920 upload became 608x1080 for the highest resolution available (other ones like 82x144, 136x240 etc... were also available)

Or just use 1920x1080, or some other 16:9 format, rotate with the player or device
    Quote Quote  
  14. I will try to see that Shotcut can do.

Thanks -

george
    Last edited by GLSmyth; 21st Nov 2020 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    Yes, that is correct, I have images that are 1080x1920 and I want a final video that is also 1080x1920.
    Are you sure the images are 1080x1920 ? width x height ?
    worked ok for me

[Attachment 55927 - Click to enlarge]

Did you set aspect ratio to 9:16 , and 1080x1920 for the export ?

export from shotcut was ok too
    1080x1920.mp4 attached

youtube is also 1080x1920 (it took a while for that version to pop up), but the player displays it as pillarboxed in a browser with white background in the small player
    https://youtu.be/TFk9HV--6PE
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. youtube doesn't serve it has 1080x1920 in mp4/avc though. Only in webm/vp9.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, the images are definitely 1080x1920 (I created them in Photoshop).

When I put the images on the timeline in they only take up a portion of the screen. Example is here: https://youtu.be/sPaYIcXlVo8

Perhaps if I can figure out why that is happening then I will be able to get this to work.

Thanks -

george
    Last edited by GLSmyth; 21st Nov 2020 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Likely you don't have the video mode set to 1080x1920 . Make sure the aspect ratio says the same thing 1080x1920 (or 9:16) in the project template

When you open shotcut you can hit the video mode =>custom =>add and make a custom setting

Or settings => video mode => custom => add
    Quote Quote  
  19. That was the case, but I added the video mode through settings and when I go back I see a dot to the left of it, so I assume that it is selected. I uploaded (https://youtu.be/dLzSpPVB7DU) and it appears to still be the same.

Thanks -

george
    Quote Quote  
  20. what version of shotcut ?

settings => app data directory => show

open the "profiles" directory => I have a "1080x1920" profile that I saved (and is currently being used with the dot to the left), open yours in notepad or text editor, what does it show ?

mine looks like this

Code:
    width=1080
    height=1920
    sample_aspect_num=1
    sample_aspect_den=1
    display_aspect_num=1080
    display_aspect_den=1920
    progressive=1
    colorspace=709
    frame_rate_num=24000
    frame_rate_den=1000
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    youtube doesn't serve it has 1080x1920 in mp4/avc though. Only in webm/vp9.
    I think it might if you upscaled it to a UHD resolution. The highest resolution would probably still be VP9 only
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are not exactly helping yourself by editing your posts to remove the graphics and even deleting the yt sample.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Okay, now I got it. For some reason there was nothing in the presets folder so I created another one and it was there. I used it and now it appears to have created what I need.

Thanks for the help -

george
    Quote Quote  
  24. I edited the post to remove the image because I realized that what I had tried did not work because I had done things the wrong way. I wanted some time to figure out the correct procedure before having people comment on something that perhaps should have worked but did not because I had not done it correctly. I removed the YouTube example because it was no longer relevant.

You are not exactly helping yourself by not reading my question and offering opinions that have nothing to do with the issue I had asked about.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    youtube doesn't serve it has 1080x1920 in mp4/avc though. Only in webm/vp9.
    I think it might if you upscaled it to a UHD resolution. The highest resolution would probably still be VP9 only
    Nope, looks like only VP9
    2160 x 3840
    1216 x 2160
    810 x 1440

608 x 1080 was highest resolution available in AVC

https://youtu.be/4t9qAaoayG4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GLSmyth View Post
    I edited the post to remove the image because I realized that what I had tried did not work because I had done things the wrong way. I wanted some time to figure out the correct procedure before having people comment on something that perhaps should have worked but did not because I had not done it correctly. I removed the YouTube example because it was no longer relevant.

You are not exactly helping yourself by not reading my question and offering opinions that have nothing to do with the issue I had asked about.

Pardon Moi !!!

But the forum exists not just for you but for others who find these topics when they have similar issues. Remove relevant items and the whole topic becomes irrelevant.
    Quote Quote