VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

I have a stack load of interactive DVDs from years ago that I purchased, who wants to be a millionaire, strike it lucky, weakest link etc etc

why is it IMPOSSIBLE to rip these in to the PC and get them to play as if I was putting them in a DVD Player

The play perfect in a DVD play,

They don't play anywhere near perfect in VLC player

THIS IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK, NO HAS BEE ABLE TO RIP THESE AND GET THEM TO WORK ON THE PC ??

just would like to know why ???

Have tried Dvd decrypter, anydvd, passkey, FABDVD

all useless in every way

please can anyone enlighten me to why some of the cheesy crapiest DVDs (these interactive disc) have the most highest type of protection preventing a 1:1 RIP on the PC

been trying for 15 years to rip these 15 or interactive DVDs I purchased years ago

thanks in advanced
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I *suppose* that the DVD-navigation on a personal computer was _not_ designed to fully emulate the DVD-Video virtual machine in the standalone players's firmware
    So it wouldn't be a matter of "copy-protection", really.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can't "rip" them. you have to make a perfect 1 to 1 copy.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    Hi Guys

I have a stack load of interactive DVDs from years ago that I purchased, who wants to be a millionaire, strike it lucky, weakest link etc etc

why is it IMPOSSIBLE to rip these in to the PC and get them to play as if I was putting them in a DVD Player

The play perfect in a DVD play,

They don't play anywhere near perfect in VLC player

THIS IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK, NO HAS BEE ABLE TO RIP THESE AND GET THEM TO WORK ON THE PC ??

just would like to know why ???

Have tried Dvd decrypter, anydvd, passkey, FABDVD

all useless in every way

please can anyone enlighten me to why some of the cheesy crapiest DVDs (these interactive disc) have the most highest type of protection preventing a 1:1 RIP on the PC

been trying for 15 years to rip these 15 or interactive DVDs I purchased years ago

thanks in advanced
    dvdfab should work, it has a clone mode feature that makes 1:1 copies of the original disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    thanks guys

DVDFAB no good!!! for interactive RIPS ??

I make one to one copies of all my DVD RIPS anyway with DVDFAB,

the closest I have got with interactive RIPS is using ANYDVD and PASSKEY

but they still don'y play correct in VLC player, it would seem that the navigation and timing is messed up,

so there is NO way to emulate a TRUE DVD 1:1 on a PC ?? with true HARDWARE DVD SIMULATION

really amazed that there is no way to do a true DVD emulate

even if I did ISO backup, is no software that can emulate a real HARDWARE DVD PLAYER on the PC

ummm....
    Last edited by Johnnysh; 17th Nov 2020 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    is no software that can emulate a real HARDWARE DVD PLAYER on the PC
    The authors of the open source players don't have access to the full DVD spec (if they had legal access to the spec they couldn't release an open source player). The navigation they support has been reverse engineered from looking at existing DVDs. My guess is none of them cares enough about interactive discs to figure out and implement the required extensions.

The licensed commercial players like Power DVD might work. On the other hand they may not have bothered with the features either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the update

To be honest, I not too bothered about them working on the PC

as I about to replace my DUNE media player from 2011, I really wanted the interactive DVDs to work on my new media player, as I am trying to RIP all my DVDs so they can be played from one source

I thinking of purchasing a Zidoo UHD2000 media player, it would have been really cool if that device could have played the interactive DVDs while I on a Ripping marathon!

but if they wont play in vlc player, I can't imagine they will work on the Zidoo

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Johnnysh View Post
    thanks guys

DVDFAB no good!!! for interactive RIPS ??

I make one to one copies of all my DVD RIPS anyway with DVDFAB,

the closest I have got with interactive RIPS is using ANYDVD and PASSKEY

but they still don'y play correct in VLC player, it would seem that the navigation and timing is messed up,

so there is NO way to emulate a TRUE DVD 1:1 on a PC ?? with true HARDWARE DVD SIMULATION

really amazed that there is no way to do a true DVD emulate

even if I did ISO backup, is no software that can emulate a real HARDWARE DVD PLAYER on the PC

ummm....
    did you choose the clone mode option ??
    see here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/how-to-clone-a-dvd-video-disc.htm
    Quote Quote