VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an older JVC HR DVS1U. It has component output. I wish to connect it to my Sony STR A/V receiver via the component output on the VCR to the HDMI input on the Sony. I have purchased a cable that does this: It has the 5 RCA plugs that correspond to the output plugs on the back of the VCR: red, green, and blue for the picture, yellow and white for the audio. I plugged all the connections in properly. Did not work. Any ideas on how to get it to work? I was able to hook the VCR directly to my TV via the component connections, but want to take advantage of the Sony's upscaling abilities. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    component output is analog. hdmi is digital. unless the a/v unit has component inputs you are out of luck, it isn't going to work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that you are using the wrong item to connect the VCR to your receiver. Can you post a link to the component video + stereo audio to HDMI cable?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That cable can't possibly work for what you want to do. What you bought is a break-out cable made to connect an unknown device with a port that looks like an HDMI connection but is actually meant for analog signals to a device with standard RCA ports for analog component video + analog stereo connections.

You need an electronic device that converts from analog to digital to connect analog component video + analog stereo out from your VCR to HDIMI in on your receiver. Here are some examples of such a device:
    https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-Koopman-Supports-Projector/dp/B086P6PL3K/
    https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-YPBPR-Support-Player/dp/B07TYBLFYM/
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easier way to connect your vhs is to just go composite in to your receiver and composite out to your tv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Easier way to connect your vhs is to just go composite in to your receiver and composite out to your tv.
    I looked at the manual. The VCR's S-VHS deck uses the composite video out or the S-Video out for its connections. It looks like the component video connectios are only useful for watching DV tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes component is for DV out only, He needs a HDMI adapter that converts S-Video from VCR and component from DV, He can either get two adapters one for S-Video and one for component or one box scaler from the big companies, though those are hard to find and are not cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneazzy95 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the answer and the explanation
    No problem, Do you have the same player as the OP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Very good answers and suggestions. I will try the analog to digital convertor, unless there's such a thing as a 1394-to-HDMI cable. 1394 is digital, correct? I did a Google search for such a cable without success though. If it did this might be an answer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. IEEE 1394 and HDMI are both digital but they are not compatible in any way.
    Quote Quote