VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing some VHS with USB3HDCAP, Virtualdub and MagicYUV, I get a file that plays OK intially, but if I move around the file, the audio pitch drops. This happens in VLC, MPC-HC and in Virtualdub.

Chain is AG1970 (NR switch to edit mode, TBC on) -> TBC-1000 -> USB3HDCAP by SVideo -> Virtualdub -> MagicYUV 422. Attached file was extracted in Vdub2 with direct stream copy.

What do you see going wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried using ut codec, huffyuv, or lagarith? all free and have worked perfectly for years without having to pay for it like some suspect "magicyuv". just the name gives me doubts. magic my ass, it's probably stolen open source code.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The colors are off scale but that's mostly source related, I would remove the TBC1000 just to see the difference, sometimes external TBC's slightly change luma and chroma levels even though they are not suppose to, but electronic components drift over time and that mandatory ADC-DAC conversion inside the TBC could screw things up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    have you tried using ut codec, huffyuv, or lagarith? all free and have worked perfectly for years without having to pay for it like some suspect "magicyuv". just the name gives me doubts. magic my ass, it's probably stolen open source code.
    Yes, I have tried the others, other than UT Codec. I appreciate your lack of faith in the codec, as codec names usually correspond to their performance and usability, but according to popular web site "VideoHelp," it's been around for some time: https://www.videohelp.com/software/MagicYUV/version-history

Does anything in the example file give insight into why the audio pitch would drop on playback?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The colors are off scale but that's mostly source related, I would remove the TBC1000 just to see the difference, sometimes external TBC's slightly change luma and chroma levels even though they are not suppose to, but electronic components drift over time and that mandatory ADC-DAC conversion inside the TBC could screw things up.
    Thanks, Dellsam. I'll see if bypassing the TBC could change something. Does anything you cited explain the audio pitch shift on playback?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I had not noticed that, I though it was a freeway traffic noise.

How does it play directly to TV from the VCR?
    Last edited by dellsam34; 17th Nov 2020 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  7. VirtualDub has the option to resample the audio when it's having sync problems. That can cause a change in pitch. See Capture -> Timing...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, jagabo, for that. That page presents many ways for me to mess things up, I bet.

I had audio preview on when I made this capture. I read a few moments ago that I should absolutely NOT have audio preview on. Another of those Things Everyone Knows that I wasn't aware of. I've just made three test recordings that I'll dig into to see whether the tweaks you suggested, and/or turning audio preview off, has given me something more sane.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, I'm not sure whether it was one of the settings you pointed to, or a reboot and turning off audio preview, but I'm back to getting decent captures. Thank you for your assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, turning off the audio preview is critical with VirtualDub. It causes frame drops which in turn causes the sync options to kick in.
    Quote Quote