VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im using a program called freemake video downloader, to download youtube videos. its real fast up to 50% then the 2nd half 50% is so slow it dont make sense why it takes ages to get the other 50%. I only have it on one pass its really annoying too. its also same with another freemake program called video converter. same thing fast getting 50% then the other 50% same so slow. I am really puzzled whats causing it. I use Google Chrome browser. even tried with Microsoft Edge same thing. hope someone can help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Same thing here. Freemake video downloader seems to have a problem now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe it is intentionally designed to run slow, as slow as you would see it play, in order to make it appear to YT that someone is watching it, ads (that are not saved) and all, just like the YT player.

just speculating. i have no real idea why it is slow. is it faster or slower than real playback time?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is Freemake doing a straight download, or is it encoding the file ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Its more than likely based on youtube-dl which now has known throttling issues and the project has not been updated since June, likely abandoned.

abolibibelot suggestion is the best - migrate to yt-dlp - a very active fork with a lively and easy to use Discord yt-dlp-help channel too. https://discord.gg/H5MNcFW63r

Throttling issues among many others fixed. Latest update 3 days ago
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/tag/2021.11.10.1

For x64 windows you need yt-dlp.exe

Do not try to double click to install, it doesn't. Call it from the command line.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would not call last updated 4-5 months ago as abandoned. 3 years might be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i would not call last updated 4-5 months ago as abandoned. 3 years might be.
    Generally speaking, that would be true (many video conversion utilities in VideoHelp's download section haven't been updated in years and are still perfectly operational), but for something that evolves so fast (due to external necessities), stalling equals dying. The same could be said for anti-malware products for instance.
    A number of third party utilities used to rely on youtube-dl as a key component, and have had features broken because of the lack of update, so their developpers had to either move on or abandon their project altogether ; those who did move on won't resume integrating youtube-dl if it eventually gets updated, which itself lowers the probability that it ever will.
    Quote Quote