VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

New here and new to video editing. I have an ASF file exported from a security camera DVR. I want to create a hyper-lapse of the 8-ish hour 10GB video, but I'm running into problems. Seems that this isn't a typical ASF file and it has a broken index.

Output from MediaInfoXP is as follows
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Public\FLIRCloudClient\FLIRCloudClient\Re cord\DownLoad\192.168.21.91_BACKYARD_main_20201109 072932_152236.asf
    Format : Windows Media
    File size : 10.2 GiB
    Duration : 7 h 48 min
    Overall bit rate : 3 128 kb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 1 512 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2020-11-12 11:29:44.443

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec ID : H264
    Duration : 7 h 48 min
    Bit rate : 2 997 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 15.152 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.095
    Stream size : 9.80 GiB (96%)
    When I play it in VLC, it tells me that it's only 1:42:something long, not the 8-ish hours long. However, I can play it beyond that timestamp. The content is there. I can seek everywhere but maybe the last 10% of the displayed length. Windows Media shows the right length, but I can only seek in the very beginning of the file.

I cannot use AsfBin because of the funny format. It doesn't recognize the file. Any attempt that I've tried with ffmpeg (with various switches) only writes out the first approx. 2GB of the file and bails out, but not with an error. It just thinks it's done.

How do I proceed here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by Lakee911; 12th Nov 2020 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since VLC can play past the 1:42 mark it can probably perform the conversion too. Media -> Convert/Save...

If that doesn't work AviSynth's DirectShowSource() may be able to access the entire video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    This thread → { https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/399447-Newbie-help-How-to-edit-RM-file-audio } is about a broken RealMedia file, but the solution given (reencode through Avisynth) may apply to your problem as well.
    As you can see, H.264 video in the ASF container is pure evil, much worse than H.264 in AVI...
    <RANT>If the goal is digital video recording, they should choose transport stream or program stream, not some proprietary Microsoft garbage.</RANT>

Using SolveigMM ASF Multiplexer in GraphStudio MIGHT work too, assuming the problematic file is not excessively-problematic of course
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Since VLC can play past the 1:42 mark it can probably perform the conversion too. Media -> Convert/Save...
    So far, so good. It just made it past the false end of the file. It's pretty slow, though. Converting/saving at maybe 3.1x speed.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    This thread → { https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/399447-Newbie-help-How-to-edit-RM-file-audio } is about a broken RealMedia file, but the solution given (reencode through Avisynth) may apply to your problem as well.
    As you can see, H.264 video in the ASF container is pure evil, much worse than H.264 in AVI...
    <RANT>If the goal is digital video recording, they should choose transport stream or program stream, not some proprietary Microsoft garbage.</RANT>

Using SolveigMM ASF Multiplexer in GraphStudio MIGHT work too, assuming the problematic file is not excessively-problematic of course
    Thank you as well. I'm going to stick w/ VLC because I have it and don't need to learn anything else. I appreciate the response just the same.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post
    Since VLC can play past the 1:42 mark it can probably perform the conversion too. Media -> Convert/Save...
    So far, so good. It just made it past the false end of the file. It's pretty slow, though. Converting/saving at maybe 3.1x speed.
    Speed will depend on the encoder settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try to remux it to mkv:
    ffmpeg.exe -i "yourfile.asf" -c copy "output.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The slow effort w/ VLC did work!

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Try to remux it to mkv:
    ffmpeg.exe -i "yourfile.asf" -c copy "output.mkv"
    Thanks, but I tried that and it didn't work.

Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post
    Any attempt that I've tried with ffmpeg (with various switches) only writes out the first approx. 2GB of the file and bails out, but not with an error. It just thinks it's done.
    Like I said, it would simply stop at that 1:42: something spot and give me a 2GB file. Are there any other switches that can be added to tell it to ignore the index and simply process the content in the file? Adding "-r 15" didn't work nor did "-map 0". Using ffmpeg would be my preferred approach since I can create my hyperlapse in one step instead of multiple. I have a few files to do this to (and I expect more in the future).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe -fflags +genpts before the input file. That tells ffmpeg to generate new timecodes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe -fflags +genpts before the input file. That tells ffmpeg to generate new timecodes.
    Nope. Same result. I'll just two-step it.
    Quote Quote