VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I want to record an online video stream with audio from a browser...

Must the window or tab with the movie display in full screen mode?

While it’s recording, can I surf the web in other tabs or windows? Or does the movie have to remain front and center on the display until its conclusion?

Does my display have to remain on for the duration of the recording, or can it go blank to save energy and conserve the backlight life?

I have an underpowered old tablet with Celeron and 4 GB RAM. Is this sufficient to get a good result? OBS’s wizard recommended very low resolution output for my hardware, but I want to try for HD.

Can I damage my low end Intel video card by making it try to do too much, i.e., save as HD?

I still don’t know what program I will use. Have been trying OBS Studio but find interface very confusing.

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. okay i may not have perfect answer for you but i am going to try anyway since no one has replied yet

so screen recordings arent always perfect.

i am guessing you want to surf web while you screen record.
    so yes you can do that all you need to do is create a separate workspace
    i am on windows 10 so if you go to task view and then you can create second desktop
    guide here: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-multiple-desktops-in-windows-10/

now when you are in second desktop you can play in full screen and start screen recording
    after you start screen recording press WIN+CTRL+LEFT on windows it should shift you to your first Desktop.

so now you can surf web while you screen record.
    when you screen record make sure to disable the sound from other programs so sound from other programs do not interfere with your recording audio
    if you press WIN+G it should open Xbox Game Bar
    it has this option where you can change the sound of individual program while you screen record. irrc other screen recorders have this option too

screen recordings usually result in very large sized video files.

to capture streaming video also try Tubedigger.

Edit: from where do you want to screen record?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by notaghost View Post
    okay i may not have perfect answer for you but i am going to try anyway since no one has replied yet

so screen recordings arent always perfect.

i am guessing you want to surf web while you screen record.
    so yes you can do that all you need to do is create a separate workspace
    i am on windows 10 so if you go to task view and then you can create second desktop
    guide here: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-multiple-desktops-in-windows-10/

now when you are in second desktop you can play in full screen and start screen recording
    after you start screen recording press WIN+CTRL+LEFT on windows it should shift you to your first Desktop.

so now you can surf web while you screen record.
    when you screen record make sure to disable the sound from other programs so sound from other programs do not interfere with your recording audio
    if you press WIN+G it should open Xbox Game Bar
    it has this option where you can change the sound of individual program while you screen record. irrc other screen recorders have this option too

screen recordings usually result in very large sized video files.

to capture streaming video also try Tubedigger.

Edit: from where do you want to screen record?
    Thanks for the reply. Well, my old tablet uses Windows 7. Can I still create a second desktop?

I want to record from a site that makes downloading impossible.

What about the screen blanking question? Can I let my screen go black while it's recording to preserve backlight life? Or will that mean the recording will go black?

Since my hardware is pretty inadequate, might it be a better idea to use a free online recording service?

Do any smudges on my display show up in the video? Should I clean the display first? (You can tell I've never done this before).

Thanks for the Tubedigger recommendation. I will check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What about the screen blanking question? Can I let my screen go black while it's recording to preserve backlight life? Or will that mean the recording will go black?
    when you are watching something on internet screen doesnt just blackout. if something is playing screen will not blackout. you can press CTRL+L to log out but all programs should just continue running. if somehow you managed to blackout without going into sleep mode. then yes you can record with black screen. make sure you are not in sleep mode because in sleep mode whole computer saves everything what you are doing then goes to sleep and when you start the computer it just continues from where you left off but in this case screen recorder will stop and save the file before it goes to sleeep so make sure its not going to sleep mode. it can easily be confused with hibernate. but screen recording just doesnt work in sleep mode/hibernate

Since my hardware is pretty inadequate, might it be a better idea to use a free online recording service?
    if its glitchy for you try with some other software if frame per second are dropping for you then you have to try with some other hardware. free online recording service? what are those? do they screen record for you over internet?
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/desktop-screen-capture

Do any smudges on my display show up in the video? Should I clean the display first?
    no. it doesnt effect software. software and hardware are two different things, you are confusing them. your display doesnt effect what should be displayed. if you record from broken phone. scratches on your screen doesnt show up in your screen recorded video.

currently window 7 doesnt has any option to create "second desktop" but you can achieve that with some third party software.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/195962/unlock-virtual-desktops-on-windows-7-or-8-with-this-microsoft-tool/ - i have not personally tried that so if it doesnt work for you try some other similar software.

I want to record from a site that makes downloading impossible.
    i read somewhere "if you can watch it you can download it"
    screen recordings are not perfect and usually have a large file size it. its easier to download rather than screen record its just very time consuming and isnt real
    if you are looking for a way to download from Netflix you can use AnyStream.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again. My computer won't go to sleep or hibernate, I have set it to not do that. But I have a little applet that can blank the screen. I mean, I don't want to have to watch the vid while it records, if I have other things to do.

When I say free online screen recorder, I mean something like this:
    https://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder

I agree if would be much better to download it, if I can find a way.

Thanks again for your ideas.
    Quote Quote