VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Getting a consistent problem with a particular set of .MKV files in Subtitle Edit. When I open the subtitle file and select the English track, the subtitles just don't show up in SE, even though I can see the English subtitles when I watch the file and the other subtitle tracks are opening just fine. Other files aren't having this problem, so I know it's just this particular set of files. How can I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ThatBeingSaid View Post
    When I open the subtitle file and select the English track...
    Do you mean the mkv itself, or did you demux the subtitles first?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Originally Posted by ThatBeingSaid View Post
    When I open the subtitle file and select the English track...
    Do you mean the mkv itself, or did you demux the subtitles first?
    Demux? Sorry I'm a total layperson. I opened the .mkv file directly through Subtitle Edit if that's what you mean.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Demux - to extract the individual elements in a video file such as audio, video and subtitles to 3 separate tracks. There are a number of programs that can do this for mkv files. eg MKVCleaver
    Load the file into the program and it will reveal all tracks present. Tick the subtitle track/s and extract. You will then have a separate subtitle track generally in SRT format. a text base form.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you still dont see any subtitles using mkvcleaver on this file it could be that the subtitle has been burned into the video.(re-encoded)
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote