VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I apologise I am not sure which forum this question was most suitable for but I am in desperate need of help.

I have a .RM video file of an old TV show episode which is 2 hours long and 200 MB. The problem is the audio is a good 20 seconds off from the video which is obviously making it unwatchable.

Firstly, I am using Windows 7 and Windows Media Player and Windows Live Movie Maker don't even recognise the file type. I would really appreciate some help on a software which will recognise the file, and allow me to edit it and "slide" the audio to the correct place and save the video without losing any quality (as the quality is already pretty poor). I hope there is a free software out there than can do this (and not leave a watermark) as I cannot afford to buy any software at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I do ask that all advice is explained in the most basic, simple, easy-to-understand way possible as I know everyone here will be a tech genuis and I am very much a tech noob/dummy.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Searched "edit .RM video file", got zero hits for editing but some for converting. Converting & then editing may be the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @michaelsimpson7:

assuming your .RM file is not b0rked, you should give a try to MKVtoolnix, which can add or remove audio delays without re-encoding.
    NOTICE, the result will be an MKV file, not a RealMedia one

Another possibility: ffmpeg supports RM remuxing, with or without the help from a proper and up-to-date GUI.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 7th Nov 2020 at 09:46. Reason: clarity
    "Like this facility, I don't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. In the short term you can use a media player that lets you delay/advance the audio relative to the video. Pretty much all the third party players support that. MPCHC, VLC, PotPlayer, etc.

I don't have any RM file but I do have an RMVB file. VirtualDub2 was able to open the video. But you will probably have to reencode the audio and video to create a new file with the audio delay/advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    @michaelsimpson7:

assuming your .RM file is not b0rked, you should give a try to MKVtoolnix, which can add or remove audio delays without re-encoding.
    NOTICE, the result will be an MKV file, not a RealMedia one

Another possibility: ffmpeg supports RM remuxing, with or without the help from a proper and up-to-date GUI.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In the short term you can use a media player that lets you delay/advance the audio relative to the video. Pretty much all the third party players support that. MPCHC, VLC, PotPlayer, etc.

I don't have any RM file but I do have an RMVB file. VirtualDub2 was able to open the video. But you will probably have to reencode the audio and video to create a new file with the audio delay/advance.
    It's not just for playback I need an actual new file where the audio is in sync as I need to send it to someone who will be uploading it to a streaming site.

Like I say, I am a tech noob - I don't know what b0rked, GUI or reencode means.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Then you'd better upload a copy of the file to this topic (or to a file sharing service), so that other members can (try to) fix it for you.

Originally Posted by michaelsimpson7 View Post
    I have a .RM video file of an old TV show episode which is 2 hours long and 200 MB. The problem is the audio is a good 20 seconds off from the video which is obviously making it unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I recall, RealMedia files (video and/or audio) were a highly-compressed format generally not meant for editing. Supposedly, you could do some editing with Real's tools, but even then what you could do with them was rather limited. (And I'm not sure if Real's tools are still available, or work.)

If you can separate the audio from the video/remux it, you might try converting it to a better-editable format and see if you don't mind whatever loss you might have by re-encoding the audio.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. MkvToolNix can probably remux the video into an MKV container with a new audio delay/advance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    As I recall, RealMedia files (video and/or audio) were a highly-compressed format generally not meant for editing. Supposedly, you could do some editing with Real's tools, but even then what you could do with them was rather limited. (And I'm not sure if Real's tools are still available, or work.)

If you can separate the audio from the video/remux it, you might try converting it to a better-editable format and see if you don't mind whatever loss you might have by re-encoding the audio.
    I was going to post about this.

All versions of RM are designed for streaming (there were also streaming only versions) and it's been through multiple revisions (It's up to Version 11/RealMedia HD), with some revisions incompatible with older versions. It's always been possible to convert TO RM, but editing the converted video has always been extremely difficult without conversion to another format.

As for any Real related software, be very careful as they've been known to contain adware and spyware. I just downloaded the latest RealMedia player as I read that some older versions allowed exporting of the audio only, and I had to opt out of installing WinRAR and sending my info to Real. Come to find out, it didn't have an export option. Though that may be available in the paid version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    ^ Then you'd better upload a copy of the file to this topic (or to a file sharing service), so that other members can (try to) fix it for you.

Originally Posted by michaelsimpson7 View Post
    Sure here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/icx6w9goxdyuiqv/fasdfasd.zip/file

My guess is the audio is a good 15/20 seconds off from the video
    Quote Quote  
  11. The audio and video are in sync when I play that rm file (MPCHC and VLC). But the video is black for the first 8 seconds. And the players can't seek. And the they seem to think the video is 220+ hours long.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The audio and video are in sync when I play that rm file (MPCHC and VLC). But the video is black for the first 8 seconds. And the players can't seek. And the they seem to think the video is 220+ hours long.
    Oh wait you’re right! So I have been binge-watching this season on a streaming website and the audio is out of sync on the site. I messaged the site owner and she told me that the original file had the audio delay too. That’s when I offered to edit it if she sent it to me (I’ve actually only just then downloaded MPCHC and watched the original file).

Basically this is footage from Big Brother U.K. 2004 and back then there was a live feed from the house broadcasting 24/7 for two and a half months. This is a 2 hour clip of the live feed from something known as “fight night” (where the live feed got pulled off the air and there was a police investigation). Anyway, this footage has been lost for 16 years and thousands of people are wanting to see the unedited footage - which is why I offered to do it.

I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the fact it is cut from a continuous livestream that it’s showing the length of the video is that long?

Here is a link to the streaming site so you can see how the audio is off.

www . video brother . net (remove spaces)

You then click “Archives” at the top, select “United Kingdom”, select “Season 5”, then “Day21d-FightNight”

You should have an ad-blocker installed or you will get a few pop ups.

Yes I’ve noticed there is a black screen at the beginning of the original file but not on the website - however the audio starts at the same place on both? Maybe this is what’s throwing the audio off? I don’t know what would cause this or how to correct it though.

The site owner told me she converts the original files to MP4 to upload them to the site.
    Last edited by michaelsimpson7; 11th Nov 2020 at 06:36.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, the original file was terribly /horribly multiplexed
    It is VERY variable-frame rate, according to ffmpeg and ffprobe...
    just like the ancient streaming WMVs (read: ASFs), the old RealVideo software loved to drop frames when the bitrate was not sufficient.
    I didn't get the "black frames" during the first 8 seconds, I got 1 static frame during those 8 seconds... tested with MPC-BE, MPC-HC and MPV

FWIW: I remuxed the video stream to an AVI file and the decoded audio to a WAV file... the AVI reports its duration as 01:59:07, whereas the WAV says 1:58:00
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, VFR video is hard to convert properly. This AviSynth script keeps A/V sync:

Code:
    a = ffAudioSource("bb.rm") 
    v = ffVideoSource("bb.rm", fpsnum=25, fpsden=1) 
    AudioDub(v,a)
    You could encode that with the kind of settings used by the videobrother.net site and send it to them.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, VFR video is hard to convert properly. This AviSynth script keeps A/V sync:

Code:
    AudioDub(v,a)
    You could encode that with the kind of settings used by the videobrother.net site and send it to them.
    Ok thanks but if possible could you please explain exactly what I need to download and what I need to do? Like I say I am completely tech illiterate.

I have no involvement with the website I am literally just a fan. I have no idea what settings they use. I am in touch with the site owner though so if you have any specific questions I can ask her.

When I asked her if the final file needs to be .RM she replied:

MP4 is what streams online but avi is fine too. I have a program that can convert any file type.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here's the rm video re-encoded to mp4 with properties similar to the videobrother.net site, except the audio is in sync with the video:

https://mega.nz/file/481khJKR#NWjvo1_5bUsYIzjhX0BGxaK0nFtZjEZ08vs4Vr8hkOU
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here's the rm video re-encoded to mp4 with properties similar to the videobrother.net site, except the audio is in sync with the video:

https://mega.nz/file/481khJKR#NWjvo1_5bUsYIzjhX0BGxaK0nFtZjEZ08vs4Vr8hkOU
    Oh my god thank you so much! I didn’t think it was gonna be possible.

You will have made thousands of Big brother fans very happy
    Quote Quote  
  18. For the sake of completeness you can reproduce what I did with:

1) Install AviSynth+ 64 bit.

2) Download the ffmpeg source filter: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource . Put a copy of the x64 ffms2.dll in AviSynth+'s plugins64+ folder.

3) Download/install a static 64 bit version of ffmpeg.

4) Create a plain text file with NotePad:

Code:
    AudioDub(v,a)

ResampleAudio(44100)
    MergeChannels(last, last)
    Save it to the same folder as the RM file -- with the extension .AVS rather than .TXT. Change the name of the RM file to match the script (bb.rm), or change the script to match the name of the RM file.

5) Open the AVS script with a 64 bit editor or media player that supports AviSynth scripts as input. I recommend 64 bit VirtualDub2. Preview the script to verify everything is working.

6) Use NotePad to create a batch file to run ffmpeg:

Code:
    Start /b /low "ffmpeg" "G:\program files\ffmpeg64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -y -benchmark -init_hw_device qsv=hw -filter_hw_device hw -v verbose ^
        -i %1 ^
        -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 19.5 -g 50 -movflags faststart ^
        -profile:v high -level:v 3.1 -adaptive_b 1 -rdo 1 -g 50 -colorspace smpte170m -color_range tv ^
        -acodec aac ^
        "%~dpn1.avc.mp4"
    Change the path to ffmpeg.exe to wherever you installed ffmpeg.exe on your computer. Save the file with the extension .BAT, not .TXT.

7) Drag the AVS script onto the batch file. An MP4 file will be created in the same folder as the RM video and the AVS script. Depending on the speed of your computer it may take from 5 minutes to an hour or more.
    Quote Quote