VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I bought a Panasonic UB9000 a couple of months ago. I made it region-free (on dvd) using a remote i got on Ebay. (Btw I'm from Europe), and the player works very well.
    Yesterday i bought Titanic (Blu-ray, 3d and dvd - 6disc edition). And it won't play the dvd. Not a big problem since i bought it for the blu-ray, but still...Why won't it play the dvd?
    Any ideas why...? Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try cleaning the dvd disc ??
    what region is the Titanic box set from ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's region 2.

This one:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Titanic-3D-Blu-ray/54618/

I've tried the dvd on both a Marantz and an Oppo, and the disc plays without problems. The message i get: "This disc is not formatted to play in this region." Strangest thing...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zebb View Post
    It's region 2.

This one:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Titanic-3D-Blu-ray/54618/

I've tried the dvd on both a Marantz and an Oppo, and the disc plays without problems. The message i get: "This disc is not formatted to play in this region." Strangest thing...
    This implies an NTSC / PAL issue (Mismatch between the disc and player)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was the Panasonic UB9000 originally Region A for Blu-ray and Region 1 for DVD? Maybe the DVD's video format is the cause of your problem. Region 1 uses NTSC format for DVD and Region 2 uses PAL format for DVD. I have an old Panasonic DVD player/recorder that is Region 1/NTSC which rejects PAL format DVDs even if the DVD itself is all-region.

It appears that davexnet reached the same conclusion while I was typing.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And the simplest way to test this is to play another PAL disk in this player.

But I see that Amazon UK sells this player as a modded Region Free. Anyone in the UK would expect it to play their standard PAL disks unless the mod also took care of that.

But one other thought as well. Have you recently performed any firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's a region B and region 2 player. And the Titanic disc is a region 2 dvd...and it's only the Panasonic that won't play it.
    Quote Quote